Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ammunition Identification of this Crate

Article about: Hey I recently purchased this Box and I'm having trouble this is my first piece of German memorabilia and I am unfamiliar with it, it appears to be rare-ish?, 1939 was the issue date I belie

?

Great thread.
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ammunition Identification of this Crate
    P
    Many

?

I can only hope that Osterhout will visit again and glean some information produced by our combined efforts as a "Forum"
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Nz.Gew.Bl.P. Nitrozellulose Gewehr Blättchenpulver nitrocellulose rifle powder (flaked).... And this is why I copied a lot of the stickies on this forum and saved them into catagories.. (hurting my shoulder patting myself on the back)

Rdf. Rheindorf an arsenal.... and another piece of the puzzle

Hey, Thanks a lot guys I got it from an older gentleman, he was 83 years old, he was storing misc. stuff inside it such as drill bits and other metal knick knacks, the metal liner is filled with a bit of grease. as CBH added to the information that the handle is most likely added on after a later date, but man is it high quality the handle and the clasp, by which I mean it is installed well and isn't using over the counter hardware parts to hold it together.

I don't know what to do with it, it is such a cool piece of history but honestly I was buying it as a what it is to the unaware eye an antique crate to put in the garage with the old cars. I didn't even notice the label until it was in the truck also the fact that the previous owner was using it as storage made me not bat an eye to what it actually was. I honestly love it, but my grand father served and I am just imaging if he was alive he would throw the crate to the curb so fast its not even funny.

I found this image [PAmmunition Identification of this Crate its been helping a lot then I found a site that lists the headstamp codes of the manufacturer's headstamps of german ammunition labels here Headstamp Codes - International Ammunition Association
    so it appears my crate came out of Presswerke G.m.b.H., Metgethen/Ostpr., Germany

Kinda amazes me nobody gave the full answer yet!

Yup, these are 7,92x57; L.S yould mean its an light, aluminium core bullet (Leichtes Spitzgeschoss) and its for tropical, hot climates; this is why it has the "special" gunpowder. Also the special powder might be for faster burning since its a very light bullet. These were used for practice; at least thats what the german manuals said theyre for.

I would definitely keep this crate away from anything like its previous environment. Without the label its just another wooden box..

CBH
    ?

I don't think your Grandfather would toss it out , he probably filled up a similar box or crate with war booty when he was heading home . People back then more more practical and would use what they had and get by on that . Great box that would still look good in your garage , with a great story on the inside .
    Cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast