Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Authentic German WW2 Canteen or perhaps not ?

Article about: Good evening chaps I have found the canteen in the pictures below at a local auction. I really don't know much at all about the German canteens but this one in particular seems "off&quo

Default Re: Authentic German WW2 Canteen or perhaps not ?

Hi Andrew, nothing to worry about with the snap fasterners: these are conventional.

W.A.L. = Westfälischer Aluminiumindustrie, Lüdenscheid. 36 being the date for 1936.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Authentic German WW2 Canteen or perhaps not ?
    P
    Many

Good evening all

Well, the auction justed closed and I got the set at $45-00. A bit more than I intended but there were two other bidders so the usual madness reigned ! Was the price a bit on the high-end in your opinion ? Something obvious but which only struck me now was that the silver "cup" in the pictures was always painted field grey on my Tamiya/Dragon scale models ... any idea why it is now completely silver ? Perhaps post-war or other add-on as there doesn't seem to be any residual paint on the "cup".

Thats an excellent price !

Picked up my first yesterday

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images Authentic German WW2 Canteen or perhaps not ?  Authentic German WW2 Canteen or perhaps not ? 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Some observations

The cup does not belong to the Field Bottle(indeed the cup is paramilitary), but you can always put the bakelite cup on it. The hook is broken and the cloth is somewhat motted.... the other felt cover is not a military one.

The strap has to be turned... the buckle is now on the back side of the field bottle..., I hope the front side is better, because no picture is shown from the front side, (only a little piece is shown with the hook, but it also has a moth hole....

As for the colours of the cup: these were black until 41, after that they were painted olive green by an order (I have the article on my web site) but I also have black cups dated 43 so there are always exeptions to the rule)

So the price.... a bit high in my opinion, but if you like it, enjoy it... !!

Tom
    MP44.nl - Welcome to my Website

On ebay.de, you can find every week nice canteens. Anniseta is a serious seller for such pieces.

Hi Nick

Now that is a STUNNING canteen. Well done !

Hi Tom

Thank-you for your excellent input :-) I received the canteen and the reverse was luckily not moth eaten. The leather strap was broken at one point and was joined with what look like large old staples but this is not visible when the strap is secured as it should be. I had a chat to the seller post-auction and he confirmed it came from a family in Germany who disposed of military items belonging to family members dating back to both wars. Any chance the silver cup with the two parallel handles is WW1 kit ?

I am quite satisfied with my old canteen ... it really looks like "it has been there" :-)

Hello Chaps

Thank-you everyone for your valued input, much appreciated. Your willingness to share experience helps so much when a novice like me is considering "genuine" WW2 items at auctions :-)

Hi Lebus12

I have posted more pics below of the cup ... what is your take on it ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Authentic German WW2 Canteen or perhaps not ?   Authentic German WW2 Canteen or perhaps not ?  

Authentic German WW2 Canteen or perhaps not ?   Authentic German WW2 Canteen or perhaps not ?  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2