Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

BAD MEDICINE!Verbandkasten with unusual contents!

Article about: A few days ago a friend of mine living somewhere in Southern France called me to tell he had just found quite a few interesting relics in the cellar of a "ferme" that housed a Germ

Default BAD MEDICINE!Verbandkasten with unusual contents!

A few days ago a friend of mine living somewhere in Southern France called me to tell he had just found quite a few interesting relics in the cellar of a "ferme" that housed a German garrison at the time the Allied Forces landed there!
    I took a day off and paid him a visit and amongst the items he had found there were a small pile of leather ammo pouches,a few gasmasks cans with gas masks still inside,a big canvas water bucket (made by Continental,no less!)a few bayonets and this Pre/Early War Verbandkasten.
    I'm posting the pictures he's taken of the latter with his cell phone.Being a close friend that I've been knowing for the past thirty years I chewed out his face first thing first because he'd been too uncautious opening up a metal box that may as well have been booby-trapped,especially when he told me that it felt particularly heavy.Well...it contained something that could have gone "rat-tat-tat-tat",rather than "Ka-boom",hence the weight!Later on I told him that he could at least have taken pictures of the items before even considering touching them but he replied that he got excited when he discovered this little "time capsule" to remember he had his Blackberry in his jacket's pocket!The first picture shows the box in "as found" conditions..the second shows the box cleaned uo (Aaaaaaargh!) and the third....see for yourselves!Looks like these air and water tight metal boxes could have been put to good use after their original contents was expended or after they had been emptied!
    Horrido!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement BAD MEDICINE!Verbandkasten with unusual contents!
    P
    Many

Default Re: BAD MEDICINE!Verbandkasten with unusual contents!

A clear violation of the rules of war...transporting munitions under the red cross...interesting indeed, thanks for sharing this find!
    Glenn

Nice point Glenn...I didn't even think about that....but I think that an empty Verbandkasten or the first suitable box may have been put to good usein this case!
    Whatever,we'll never know for sure...it could even be that all those things may have been gathered by a civilian or the former owners of the farmhouse!
    Nice found anyway!
    Cheers

A great find! I appreciate you sharing this discovery with us!
    cheers, Glenn

Interesting, i see various markings, all differents? A Soldier collecting ammunition boxes?

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    Interesting, i see various markings, all differents? A Soldier collecting ammunition boxes?
    Hi Lebus,
    that's EXACTLY what I thought ......but in fact there are two different types of of SmK labels AFAI can see...and a few "orphans",one of which is clearly for the rifle!Leftovers?A Maquis depot(but why unnecessary things like the gasmasks?Items picked up immediately after the War?A soldier who has "ramasseè" all the boxes he could find to fill the belts later?Interesting point...unfortunately we'll never know for sure!
    Cheers
    Lou

?

It is a nice find, thanks for sharing

Very interesting, stuff still being found in France. Thanks for sharing always like hearing about these things happening.

Somebody lost their ammo stash.