MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

The Bayonet, what is the reason for not having the blade sharp?

Article about: I secured an original Bayonet, previous owner says it's made in France, 1941 which it's very intresting. It was not extremly expensive due to the parts not matching the serial numbers but st

Question The Bayonet, what is the reason for not having the blade sharp?

I secured an original Bayonet, previous owner says it's made in France, 1941 which it's very intresting. It was not extremly expensive due to the parts not matching the serial numbers but still is a K98 Bayonett. As I began to perform the dis-assembly to inspect the parts and their condition as well as further markings and most importantly perfom maintnance I saw the blade and it's not sharped at all, it never was from day 1. I've searched the net for some reasoning, some said it was prohibited within the military no matter what side you were on. Some say collectors value more a Bayonett if it is not sharp. Afterall this was for fighting/combat as it was able to be removed or attached to the single bolt action rifle, German. I wanted to see how well it cuts some bread or Salami but that won't happen at the momment.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Bayonet, what is the reason for not having the blade sharp?
    P
    Many

You don't need a sharp blade to thrust a bayonet into someone. Cutting bread or salami with a bayonet only happens in war films and not in real wars.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    You don't need a sharp blade to thrust a bayonet into someone. Cutting bread or salami with a bayonet only happens in war films and not in real wars.
    Very plausible if you put it that way