Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Berg Rucksack

Article about: I just picked up this mountain Rucksack at auction for 80 US dollars. I know it is missing some strap pieces and could use some help figuring out what is missing. I think it is two straps wi

Default Berg Rucksack

I just picked up this mountain Rucksack at auction for 80 US dollars. I know it is missing some strap pieces and could use some help figuring out what is missing. I think it is two straps with hardware to attach to the ammo pouches and some kind of waist belt. Interestingly, it carries the name of someone who once owned it as a backpack post war. I found someone on the web matching the name and sent him a message. He was born in Brussels and traveled to Athens as part of his professional career involving aerospace. You can see the airline tags still attached including the Sabena airways one from Belgium and one for Athens. I'd like to know the history of the pack - hopefully I will hear from the previous owner. NH

Berg RucksackBerg RucksackBerg RucksackBerg RucksackBerg RucksackBerg RucksackBerg Rucksack

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Berg Rucksack
    P
    Many

?

Yes, I think two hooks are missing from the strap. These kind: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAxMFg4NzI=/z/rzsAAOSwHnFVuu-R/$_35.JPG

Btw. the 80$ was worth it! Nice, pretty rucksack.

Servus Bergkamerad Neil,

Looks to be in great shape and a steal at $80! Like xedos6 says, it's only missing the two hooks...but the hooks were not used very much and often were taken off or left off....same goes for the waist strap. If a Jäger needed to drop his pack quickly, you didn't want to be fiddling with all the connections!

Berg Heil und drei mal Horrido!

Papa

I did see one with the waist strap. What a bad idea. The two hooks which attached to the shoulder straps look like the bottom of a pair of standard Y-straps. They have the same hardware. But there is provision as you can see from the photos for two quick release straps with carbine hooks that I think would have been far more convenient. I would like to locate the two Y-strap hook pieces if possible or have them reproduced. I found the post war owner of the pack on Facebook and sent a message to his Rutgers University email. NH

At The Front has the hooks available.

This complete Berg Rucksack is on ebay. You can see the straps missing from my example including the waist belt. NH

Berg Rucksack

Found the missing straps! These are often missing from the Berg Rucksack. They are used to attach to the Patronentaschen. There is also a waist belt. I have a reproduction waist belt so now this is complete. I understand these were commonly discarded or just not used since the waist belt mad it difficult to get the pack off quickly. Credit FJM44 for the photo. Berg Rucksack

Five and a half year search!!! ........ you are patient man, Neil
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Danmark - yeah - five years! I credit all the updates I get now from multiple dealers. Out of all the kooky, rare and oddball items out there in WW2 German collecting, these two bits are particularly scarce. I think they were just tossed out. I understand while climbing you need a stable pack but imagine having this pack strapped on with a waist belt tied into the ammo pouches. You couldn't easily slip it off your shoulders. The average GJ soldier must have preferred to simply have two shoulder straps with a quick release hook. Neil

?

Nice purchases,I think FJM44 has listed 2 sets very recently.
    It is really nice to see commonly missing pieces like these up for sale,and especially when they are reasonably priced.
    I hope to get a Gebergs. rucksack at some point.
    Congratulations on completing your's.