Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Bullets: 10 Stück 8mm M.30 scharfe S-Patronen Rottw XI. 1938

Article about: I purchased this box of bullets recently and I'm trying to learn some more information on them as well as rarity. From the research I did, they were manufactured in 1938 for Austrian rifles.

Default Bullets: 10 Stück 8mm M.30 scharfe S-Patronen Rottw XI. 1938

I purchased this box of bullets recently and I'm trying to learn some more information on them as well as rarity. From the research I did, they were manufactured in 1938 for Austrian rifles. All of the shell casings are swastika/eagle stamped as well as the clips. I'm sure that they're very very common, I impulse bought them for $20 because I thought it would look good in the WW2 German collection I'm putting together. Just wanted to get some opinions and knowledge here.

Thank you everyone for the help. I've learned more from this forum than anywhere else!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bullets: 10 Stück 8mm M.30 scharfe S-Patronen Rottw XI. 1938
    P
    Many

P635 would appear to be the manufacturer code for Gustloff-Werke, Otto Eberhardt-Patronenfabrik, Hirtenberg Niederdonau (am)

German 7,92 headstamp markings 1937-1945

that's nice.

There are some that believe the eagles on them are Fake I am in the camp that does not I have been seeing these at gunshows as far back as mid 70's I don't think there is any doubt that German made many rounds for the Austrian M95 manicl rifles used by auxiliary forces and police. Nice complet set you have there. timothy

Quote by timothy View Post
    There are some that believe the eagles on them are Fake I am in the camp that does not I have been seeing these at gunshows as far back as mid 70's I don't think there is any doubt that German made many rounds for the Austrian M95 manicl rifles used by auxiliary forces and police. Nice complet set you have there. timothy
    I wouldn't bet on them being fake either, but I would certainly be bummed if they were. Thanks for the reply.

The headstamp is well-documented as being legitimate. Your cartridges are the 8x56R for the Austrian Steyr M95 stutzen. The Steyr M95 is a straight-pull bolt-action rifle (carbine.) Originally chambered on 8x50 the majority of them were rechambered in 8x56R between the two world wars. Many of the M95 rifles were also cut down to carbine length. They were made in Austria and Hungary; consequently the receiver rings are marked either "Steyr" or "Budapest." They served as a rear guard arm, not a front-line-issue primary arm, and were typically issued in occupied countries to the indigenous forces sympathetic to the Germans. These little carbines were all over the US surplus market about 10 years ago for as little as $99. For what it's worth, they're relatively accurate, but "hateful" is the nicest way I can describe shooting them. Here are a couple of decent write-ups of the carbine, for anyone who may be interested:
    m95
    Modern Firearms - Steyr Mannlicher M95

?

Gee imagine if you mistruck the eagle stamp on the base of the round

Yep: 8x56R for the Austrian Steyr M95 stutzen. I use to see a lot of this come through years ago when the rifles were imported surplus. All that seems to have dried up now. So maybe the prices will start to going up on this stuff. . Great looking ammo for as old as it is. .
    John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.