Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Canteen relic or bring back

Article about: I just acquired this canteen and am curious as to what you guys think about it. Also, what does the ESB38 mean? Year of manufacture? It came without a cup.

?

Question

The size, straps u. cup say medical. Nothing about it says Gebirgs.
    Sarge

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Canteen relic or bring back
    P
    Many

?

ESB= Eduard Sommerfeld, Berlin

?

Sarge,

You seem to know more about the canteens than I. What is the relic canteen he has? M31? What model?

I believe the one from my collection to be a Gebirgsjager Medical Canteen. If I am mistaken can you please shed some light as to what model mine is?

As I said in my original email I was not sure and would let others weigh in. Look forward to your opinion and knowledge.

Thanks!

Rossi

Quote by Sarge View Post
    The size, straps u. cup say medical. Nothing about it says Gebirgs.
    Sarge
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Just to be clear, my ESB38 is what exactly? Eduard Sommerfeld, Berlin made in 1938 I understand but is it a regular army canteen or what? Thanks!

?

I am looking to Sarge on this one. Not sure bud.

Nice bunch of canteens there was the large one liter and smaller.7 or so the larger ones are attributed to Medics, and mountain troops (AK also carried a lot of them if you search period pictures) Rossi I think I say I think yours is a medical canteen due to the straps on it so called GJ have straps like a regular canteen I have one but it doesn't have its straps most are always found with a bakelite cup or small aluminum as the large Aluminum ones somehow don't fit right. Hopefully JP or Tom will come along and show us some pictures for comparision but nice canteens to both of you and they are in good condition compared to some. timothy

?

Thumbs up

The ID for a GJ canteen is a cloth/felt reinforcing ring about 1" wide around the back of the canteen, often called a donut. W/O that ring it is medic.
    I've never bothered to take a photo of mine so can't show you what I'm talking about, but it is very noticeable.
    Since you didn't show the back of yours I made my judgement based on the front of the canteen.
    Sarge

?

Hey Sarge,

Thanks for the reply and your knowledge. I have attached a picture of the reverse side of my canteen for your review. So assuming then this is a GJ / Medics canteen which is what I was thinking it was. What about the other gents canteen? What do you think his is?

Rossi

Quote by Sarge View Post
    The ID for a GJ canteen is a cloth/felt reinforcing ring about 1" wide around the back of the canteen, often called a donut. W/O that ring it is medic.
    I've never bothered to take a photo of mine so can't show you what I'm talking about, but it is very noticeable.
    Since you didn't show the back of yours I made my judgement based on the front of the canteen.
    Sarge
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canteen relic or bring back  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2