Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Clamp...but whats if for?

Article about: I have just picked up this clamp. Its obviously to close off something but for the life of me I cannot remember what its for although I have seen one in use. I think it may have been somethi

Default Clamp...but whats if for?

I have just picked up this clamp. Its obviously to close off something but for the life of me I cannot remember what its for although I have seen one in use. I think it may have been something to do with German bunkers but could be wrong. Have any of you got an idea as to its use.... if so please let me know. Its really well maker marked and waffenampt.
    I look forward to one of you ending the annoyance of not knowing what it for.
    All the best,
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Clamp...but whats if for?   Clamp...but whats if for?  

Clamp...but whats if for?   Clamp...but whats if for?  

Clamp...but whats if for?   Clamp...but whats if for?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Clamp...but whats if for?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Clamp...but whats if for?

Ive got an idea its a spy hole cover

I have no idea, but just looking at it, it looks like it might be helpful in getting a lid off something? Enigmatic little thing.

If it was bigger I's say it looks like a spanner clamp you could use to unscrew a muzzle brake from a gun but being so small that's unlikely. I still say it's a clamp with the hole for a bar for leverage.

Dan

?

Ive just had a possible brainwave, is it by chance a clamp for removing the heads off stick grenades, try checking the size of one in the clamp

?

I think it might be a tool for unscrewing the flat caps on mortar shells?

?

Corresponding to the Claus Espeholt's WaA list, the WaA stamp - "bwo" - that you have on your item, should belong to Rheinmetall-Borsig AG that produced weapons and ammunitions during the ww2. Interesting is also this link of Lexikon der Wehrmacht: "...end of 1935 were made on the part of Rheinmetall-Borsig first considerations for the construction of a superheavy mine thrower to tackle severe bunkers."
    So, you could be right that your piece has a connection to German bunkers.
    Gary
    Last edited by Gast; 05-18-2012 at 02:31 AM.

Hi Gast,
    Thanks for that.... I am sure were heading in the right direction.
    d.

?

I share your opinion

It's an odd thing, for sure. I doubt if it removes anything, as there are no "teeth" inside to grip with, like inside a pair of pliers and no way to hold onto it to twist the top off of whatever you are removing it from,if it did. Also, the hole through the end looks like it is to accept a bolt to secure it onto whatever it is on top of. It is not a very precision size fit, either and the swing up portion fits very loosely in place. This one is an odd duck, for sure.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."