Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

A couple of feldspaten to show & discuss

Article about: Hi guys, I have had these two for some time. The first came as a set and the spade & cover have all the marks of being together for a LONG time. BUT, I know that the cover is the open ba

Default A couple of feldspaten to show & discuss

Hi guys,
    I have had these two for some time.

The first came as a set and the spade & cover have all the marks of being together for a LONG time. BUT, I know that the cover is the open back type and the buckling straps are not sewn on the outside so it's NOT the "textbook" carrier. No markings ...Any ideas?

The folding shovel was bought separate to it's carrier and it's a bit rusty so I cant find any stamps but is a German one with the angled stop for the Bakelite nut and the sharper ribbing not seen on the Dutch ones so I'm happy with that. The carrier is stamped 1940 and is a mix of leather and press-toff cardboard. Also a bit fragile but still good I think.

Welcome comments or concerns.
    Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A couple of feldspaten to show & discuss   A couple of feldspaten to show & discuss  

A couple of feldspaten to show & discuss   A couple of feldspaten to show & discuss  

A couple of feldspaten to show & discuss   A couple of feldspaten to show & discuss  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A couple of feldspaten to show & discuss
    P
    Many

Default Re: A couple of feldspaten to show & discuss

Looks good Dan, always wondered about getting one for my collection. Don't like the look of the folding shovel over the other one though but I do like both your examples, nice and used.

Cheers
    Jaon

I agree with VolksJager Shovels look good, cant comment on the carriers though.

Thanks guys, the fixed spade has been sharpened on it's edges as well - I realise some may say that has decreased it's value but to me that shows it was customised into a useable tool / weapon ( after all it WAS a soldier's favourite piece of kit )

Given the fragility of these leather / cardboard carriers, I'm surprised that they are still out there to find.

Dan

?

Hi Dan I have the same variation of the openback carrier myself and have done a little research on them and think they were manufactured in Austria during the war in limited numbers and issued to German troops.
    There is very little information out there on them that I could find all the examples I have seen are unmarked

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A couple of feldspaten to show & discuss   A couple of feldspaten to show & discuss  

A couple of feldspaten to show & discuss