Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

DAK Souvenired bayonet in LEATHER FROG ??

Article about: Hi all, I have begun the task of going through my collection of 30 years, much vet acquired, to permanently record the history of items to document them. I have reached 2 items of DAK . The

?

Default DAK Souvenired bayonet in LEATHER FROG ??

Hi all, I have begun the task of going through my collection of 30 years, much vet acquired, to permanently record the history of items to document them. I have reached 2 items of DAK . The bayonet and Recognition flag were souvenired by a member of the 2/3 Pioneer Btn AIF over 22nd, 23rd Oct 1942 Battle of El Alamein, a Duncan McLennan, The flag came from a panzer disabled from a landmine. The detailes were given to me by Duncan's brother. My question that I hope can put things right is the obvious, Could this History be correct with the bayonet, which is a bit bashed about, having a leather frog, when I thought DAK had tropical web,
    Many thanks for help on this one,
    Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK   Souvenired  bayonet in LEATHER FROG ??   DAK   Souvenired  bayonet in LEATHER FROG ??  

DAK   Souvenired  bayonet in LEATHER FROG ??  
    Last edited by MarkH; 08-12-2012 at 11:51 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAK   Souvenired  bayonet in LEATHER FROG ??
    P
    Many

Default Re: DAK Souvenired bayonet in LEATHER FROG ??

I could see Tunisa, because a lot of units were rushed in. Maybe possible, havnt seen a photo of it though. Other members maybe can give more on info on this.

I see no problem with the use of a leather frog in Africa. Most of the Australians took little part in the fighting after El Alamein and were sent home in Jan 1943, except for small numbers of units, in particular the RAAF.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi, flag seems to be the correct size for vehicle use.
    I also think the leather frog could have been used in tropical locations. see nothing wrong with that.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Hello,
    Many leather frogs were used in Africa and many web frogs were used anywhere else....
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Thanks folks for all your conformations, I half expected the mixing of kit to be present in the DAK, it would be good to see a picture of it, cheers and thanks
    Mark

Am in late but I have no prob with the look of this setup as well. I can imagine not everyone would have the right kit all the time

Cheers
    Jason

Some Luftwaffe tropical troops with leather Y straps and Leather pistol holsters and Leather rifle ammunition pouches, quite a mix.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DAK   Souvenired  bayonet in LEATHER FROG ??  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Some DAK equipment ended up in Norway, so I see no problem with a leather frog in North Africa.

All the best
    Stig Erik