Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Early 'Y' straps what are they??

Article about: I bought these 'Y' straps quite cheaply - they have that early leather look and all the correct stitching and 2nd pattern metal hooks and auxiliary straps. Trouble is, the rear strap has a s

Default Re: Early 'Y' straps what are they??

Quote by MP44tom View Post
    Back strap is correct (late war) one which nicely belongs to this late war Y straps...

Nice set !! You should put the end strap through the metal ring..... do you have it already ??

Tom
    Still coming from the USA Tom. Thanks for the confirmation that it is OK, do you want some photos of it for your site?
    For those that don't know, Tom has a website ( MP44.nl - Welcome to my Website ) that is an excellent resource for the German equipment collector!
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early 'Y' straps what are they??
    P
    Many

?

I stand corrected on the rear belt hook Dan I am glad that they turned out to be all original they will be a nice addition to your collection I am rather curious about there origins though as I had never seen this style of hook before and had to search for quite a while even to find the smallest reference about them (which turned out to be wrong by the way )
    I wonder if they were manufactured in Germany or have they come out of one of the many countries and or territories that they occupied

Regards Mark K

I think that a OKH/Bekl.Merkblatt or a period picture/drawing (from a Reibert or similar handbook) would be very useful.These hooks should rocket the price of a set of Y-straps dramatically,since they're rarely found when compared to the more "mundane" hooks made of sheet metal,yet those Y straps sell for the same price or even less.
    In 30 years of collecting and picking up items from where they had been left,not always in good conditions but untouched nonetheless,I've never found anything like that,nor I've seen it in collections consisting on "as found" items gathered since the end of the War.
    I haven't seen pictures of them in use either,but that doesn't mean that they didn't exist.I'd go for a set with a "normal" hook,just to be on the safe side.If the one you've posted sell for a nut and a cig go for them,but if the seller asks a price close,equal or higher than the price a "textbook" set would demand then think twice..in case you'd try to re-sell them they wouldn't go as fast as a pair of straps with a stamped hook...and even those don't sell this fast these days!

Quote by Horrido View Post
    I think that a OKH/Bekl.Merkblatt or a period picture/drawing (from a Reibert or similar handbook) would be very useful.These hooks should rocket the price of a set of Y-straps dramatically,since they're rarely found when compared to the more "mundane" hooks made of sheet metal,yet those Y straps sell for the same price or even less.
    In 30 years of collecting and picking up items from where they had been left,not always in good conditions but untouched nonetheless,I've never found anything like that,nor I've seen it in collections consisting on "as found" items gathered since the end of the War.
    I haven't seen pictures of them in use either,but that doesn't mean that they didn't exist.I'd go for a set with a "normal" hook,just to be on the safe side.If the one you've posted sell for a nut and a cig go for them,but if the seller asks a price close,equal or higher than the price a "textbook" set would demand then think twice..in case you'd try to re-sell them they wouldn't go as fast as a pair of straps with a stamped hook...and even those don't sell this fast these days!
    Thanks Horrido, but I have bought them ( and did so for a low price because of the unusual hook ) and am not buying to make a profit in years to come. We ARE a funny bunch when it comes to the term "textbook" and do not like to wander too far from the normally encountered ( and accepted ) item - I guess that as forums are a type of community, or show-and-tell sessions that none of us likes to hear adverse opinion on one of our 'finds' and we like the contented feeling when majority approval is given..... or as Homer Simpson is wont to say whilst patting his stomach, - "ahhh, donuts"

Cheers, Dan

Hi Dan,
    only a mentally-empaired individual or one with a very low IQ would get cross upon hearing an adverse opinion...the problem arises when somebody tries to talk himself/herself into believing that something is real and that's pathetic at least!
    I didn't mean to say that everything we buy must be sold with a profit in years to come..we all want to upgrade with a certain item and, as I've told you in my previous post,these straps don't deserve a "premium" or to be paid the money you'd shell out for a "regular" set because of the rear hook...if they came cheap I'm glad you've "scored a hit" but,on the other hand,that won't make the hook look "right,if you get my drift.
    My collecting "career" spans three decades (and a half spent searching in pillboxes,trenches and galleries) but I first saw these hooks in the first 2000s.That doesn't mean that they disn't exist or that they weren't used,I just haven't seen them before that date or in collection owned by individuals who started collecting as early as 1946,when they were 12 or so.I only listen to my guts and experience and I feel much more comfortable with something I've seen before than with something that I've first started to meet ten years ago!
    I've found Y-straps made with British webbing and leather which screamed "I'm original" even before knowing that the Germans made quite a few of themwith Commonwealth stocks captured in France,Greece(to a lesser extent)and then in Africa,but these hooks just don't look right to me but it's only me and my guts.I wouldn't feel happy and comfortable with them,but then again...it's ME!
    I'm open to "rarities and oddities" (I've got several myself) but the only "textbook" I thumb thru is my experience.
    I'm always wary when I read or hear some assumptions.A friend just started a thread on the gasmasks here, and sooner or later a can of worms will be kicked open...and it'll be full of web straps!Well,I've got several Tragegestells (pardon the "english" plural) whose horizontal retaining straps are made of very coarse webbing material identical to the coarse webbing used to make the so-called BW straps.
    I won't enter any discussion about that...but I'm sure as God made little green apples that while many will steer clear from 100% period cans with original straps a few others will grab them!
    Regards

Hi Horrido,
    I wasn't being personal and apologize if my words inferred that ( I should have added IMHO )

With regard to variations, I wholeheartedly agree with you - and the gaskmask thread you refer to was started by me!
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/field...iation-250293/
    and I know there will be much discussion on the webbing worm can that will arise from it. Please can you add from your knowledge base anything extra that will assist us in learning ( I for one like the so-called BW weave ..... exactly the same as the british STEN gun webbing sling material - that's weird isn't it? )

Cheers mate,
    Dan

It's allways difficult to say if anything is original or not, and without photographic evidence almost impossible.
    These hooks, however, also can be found on gasmask straps, and i'm pretty sure they are original, but of course not the full 100%

I wouldn' t mind having them in my collection

tom
    MP44.nl - Welcome to my Website

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2