Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Erwin Rommel Prewar Map Case????

Article about: Could this be Rommel's prewar map case, or did it belong to any of the other officers in the family? Got this from Germany and did not see that Rommel was written inside before I opened it t

Default Erwin Rommel Prewar Map Case????

Could this be Rommel's prewar map case, or did it belong to any of the other officers in the family? Got this from Germany and did not see that Rommel was written inside before I opened it today. Is there any connection with the family Rommel and the unit stamped inside?

Thanks for the help!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Erwin Rommel  Prewar Map Case????   Erwin Rommel  Prewar Map Case????  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Erwin Rommel  Prewar Map Case????
    P
    Many

You would need some very concrete provenance to prove that the name was not added to enhance value. Frankly, I see no reason a German Field Marshall would have to write his name on a map case. The item is also stamped to Jaeger Regt. 90. I my opinion the name is added.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hope springs eternal, eh young man??
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Not even close to Rommel's signature, but one can dream
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hello,

10./J.R. 90 means 10. Kompanie of Infanterieregiment 90, 10th company of the 90th Infantry Regiment.

You can find it here :

Infanterieregiment 90 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Definitely not from the possession of Erwin Rommel.

The likelihood that a previously-unattributed and -undocumented piece of personal military equipment from such a famous, high-profile, high-ranking personality as Rommel should suddenly come out of the woodwork is so close to zero as to almost rule it out completely on the grounds of common sense alone.

Even if we allow for the 0.00001% chance that it might be the case and take a closer look at the markings, these, too, rule it out:
    The case is marked for the 10th Company of Infanterie-Regiment 90. Rommel never served with that regiment, which was raised in 1937. (Also, Rommel had risen beyond the company-grade officer ranks by 1932.)

Either the name is for some relative, or a wholly unrelated man who just happened to have the same surname, or simply a post-war addition.

Thanks for all the feedback! Hehe, people win the lottary every day, even if it's one in a milion...
    It is highly unlikely, but it's still a possibility... The father, son or other family might have used this at some point - who knows... When one marks equipment the name is written clearly and not as an autograph at least... The item was purchased in Weißenburg, Germany for the reasonable price of 60-70 Euro`s and seller said nothing or hinted at the name, I was not aware that the name was there before I got it home. So it was certainly not written to make up the price or to create a good seller.... I dont know what two think, and I have to base the outcome on the facts - which will be hard to find...

Still a nice conditioned case..and not a total loss...just add the letter "T" in front of Rommel..and it becomes " Trommel "...everyone loves a drummer
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

MAP
    ?

Quote by oksnevad_2 View Post
    ... The father, son or other family might have used this at some point - who knows...
    His son was a child and his father long since deceased (1913).

I think his brother Gerhard was in the Luftwaffe and his other brother was a WW1 pilot and was a civilian during WW2 (could be wrong on these facts though
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

In any case, "Rommel" was not a unique name. One could even find "Hitler"s in the ranks. In this instance, the name looks to have been written in with a green ink ballpoint, which I somehow don't imagine was being used in the era...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast