Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)

Article about: The Evolution of Headsets and Throat Mikes for Panzers (1935-1945) Foreword Though these days I choose to write more about Japanese militaria subjects, I actually have been a collector of Ge

Post War Use and Fakes

After the war, the Czechs kept a large fleet of Panzer IVs and the French kept about 50 Panthers active. These also required a supply of headsets and mikes and seem to have become postwar sources of non WW2 gear that gets sold as WW2 German. As a matter of fact, I have done a quick search on this forum and saw that a headset known to be a postwar Czech model was applauded as original WW2. These models have cords with a black line spiraling around it, fitted with different plugs, wrong type of screws, etc. Please refer to the photos below for a quick tutorial on how to spot them.

Equally prevalent are fake headsets using components from normal army or civilian headsets. The actuators are not marked Dfhb nor Dfhd, but “Telefunken”, Dfha, Dfhe etc. They used the same design as Panzer sets, so they could be fitted with rubber pads, and fakers get the headband from somewhere (possibly Czech) and they suddenly turn into Panzer headsets. The markings on the pod casing cannot be read when they are attached to the headband, so it is important that you verify that the markings are correct by taking them apart.

One helpful clue as to whether the pods are really for Panzer is to check the point where the cord enters the headset. Panzer models have the cord reinforced with leather at this entry point, while non-Panzer versions normally have no reinforcement there or has a coiled spring, which Panzer sets never used. If you don’t see leather there, you hardly need to take the pods off the headband to determine whether they are good.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)   The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)  

The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)   The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)  

Last edited by Nick Komiya; 02-16-2016 at 10:35 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)
    P
    Many

A brief word on other models of amplifying intercom boxes installed in other armored vehicles.

I focused narrowly on tanks in the article above and dwelled on the function of the Panzerkasten 20, but if you are interested in Assault guns, self-propelled guns or armored cars those were different beasts with totally different Panzerkasten to fit their communication needs. I will briefly list up the Panzerkasten model number for the respectable vehicle types.

Command tanks (Befehlpanzer)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Panzerkasten 11
    Mikes used were all kmfas throughout the tank

Assault guns (Sturmgeschütze)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Panzerkasten 24
    Mikes used were all kmfbs and a loudspeaker was also built in

Selfpropelled artillery and armored reconnaissance vehicles (Artillerie auf Selbstfahrlafetten u Pz. Spähwg.)--------------------------Panzerkasten 23/23a
    Mikes used were all kmfbs and a loudspeaker was also built in
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)   The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)  

Storage bins built into tanks for the headsets and throat mikes

All vehicles that required headsets and throat mikes had steel bins built onto bulkheads, etc to store them when not in use. Those installed inside closed vehicles were painted in ivory (Elfenbein), the standard internal color for armored vehicles. It is now, for some reason, the standard color for taxis in Germany.

Early models were well-padded on all inside walls, but later models only had padding under the lid. Those installed on vehicles with open superstructures like self-propelled guns had closing latches that could be padlocked and were painted in the standard ordnance color such as dark yellow. Late in the war, these bins no longer came with lids.

The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)  

I hope you found this interesting and helpful.

Good night.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)  

?

Thank You Nick. Very descriptive and along with the Pic's provided, A very educational thread.
    And here I thought we were fortunate to have you here for your Knowledge of Japanese militaria and now your also the Panzer Comm guy. Fantastic!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Thank You Nick. Very descriptive and along with the Pic's provided, A very educational thread.
    And here I thought we were fortunate to have you here for your Knowledge of Japanese militaria and now your also the Panzer Comm guy. Fantastic!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    I agree !! Very well displayed and informative..
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Excellent!

I have shown my headset and throat mike somewhere on the forum years ago.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hello,
    yes...excellent is the word....very informative and well made thread...thanks a lot for this awsome work Nick...
    This work is now the "sticky thread of the month"...
    Thanks again, always glad to see members getting involved in such a way for the general knowledge.
    Congrats...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Actually Panzer communication equipment and Japanese Army items have only been a very recent and minor part of my collecting interests spanning almost 50 years. Here's a small sampling of examples from my real specialty shown below.

The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)   The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)  

Those who already collected in the early 90s should remember the large stash of 1942 production, mint and boxed headsets that was discovered at that time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast