Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)

Article about: The Evolution of Headsets and Throat Mikes for Panzers (1935-1945) Foreword Though these days I choose to write more about Japanese militaria subjects, I actually have been a collector of Ge

CBH
    ?

Thanks for sharing your wonderful headgear and uniform collection.
    Also thanks for this great communication equipment thread.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)
    P
    Many

Some other samples
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)   The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)  

The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)   The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)  

The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)   The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)  

Last edited by Nick Komiya; 05-22-2018 at 08:26 PM.

TWS
    ?

Wow! Very impressive Nick!

Peeked at your profile. Next time you are heading to Circuit of the Americas, let me know. Could grab a beer or a coffee and discuss our two shared interests.

The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)

Default The Super Rare Kmf.2, Germany’s first Throat Microphone

The Super Rare Kmf.2, Germany’s first Throat Microphone

For more than 10 years, ever since reading, Hans-Joachim Ellisen’s, “Die deutschen Funknachrichtanlagen bis 1945, Band 3”, I had been aware of a grand daddy figure in the world of panzer throat mikes called the Kmf.2 (Kehlkopfmikrofon 2), but the way the author had described how the capsules were fastened to the spring-loaded neckband was beyond comprehension to me, and left it shrouded in mystery. I had totally given up on ever resolving this mystery, as Kmf.2 mikes were all supposed to have been recalled in 1937/38 for repair and upgraded to the new capsule arrangement. So, in principle, no Kmf.2 mikes should exist in its original form today and it was futile to even search for one.

But by a miracle, I ran into one and grabbed onto it like the Holy Grail. So here is the final chapter to “The Evolution of Headsets and Throat Mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)", a chapter I never thought I could write in my lifetime. The text below is basically a summarized translation of the original German text by Ellisen from the book mentioned above.

Kmf. 2 & 4

Microphones used on vehicles and by radio personnel of the Reichswehr are actually unknown today. Throat mikes first appeared in technical manuals published in 1935/36 for the Lorenz-built, radios "Torn. Fu.b1 & f ", as well as in the 1937 published manual for the "Torn. Fu.d2". Alongside the oval-shaped "Hmf.2" hand microphone, these manuals mentioned a model "Kmf.2 throat mike", as an alternative. This Kmf.2 mike consisted of two carbon capsules, a 3-pronged plug for a 2 volt feed and a switch-box.

On the other hand, for the first ultra shortwave transmitter made by Telefunken, the "10 W.S.a & b." as introduced in 1937, a "Kmf.4 throat mike" was designated as accessory. This was identical in design to the Kmf.2, except that the plug was a 2-pronged type.

Army and Luftwaffe ordinances from 1937/38 mention a recall of all issued Kmf.2 mikes for repair by the manufacturers (including the renewal of capsules by DeTeWe and Lorenz). Kmf.2 mikes, thus repaired, using new capsules and partly updated with new switch-boxes, continued to be used on Torn. Fu.b1 & f radios, while the Torn. Fu.d2 radio switched to the new Kmf.b throat mikes at that time.

In these transitional years between 1935 and 1937, the Kmf.2 evolved into the 3-pronged Kmf.b and the 2-pronged Kmf.4 became the Kmf.a, both used extensively in Panzers.

The photo below is an extremely rare Kmf.2, Germany’s first throat mike. It is super rare, because it still retains the original carbon capsule attachment configuration and switch-box that escaped the Total Recall of 1937/38 in which all capsules got updated to the type seen on the Kmf.b mikes. No wonder Ellisen’s description of the throat mike was complete mumbo jumbo to me, as this method is so complicated and beyond description that only visuals can allow you to grasp it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)   The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)  

Last edited by Nick Komiya; 01-23-2020 at 06:17 PM.

?

What a great collection Nick , in super condition . I am so pleased for you that the miracle happened , that must be a wonderful feeling
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

I was able to locate the original Army High Command order to recall the Kmf. 2 mikes for repair and exchange. For those who do not read German, I naturally provide a full translation below.

Army High Command Ordinance of 23rd December 1937 as printed in the 5th January 1938 issue of the heeres=Verordnungsblatt.

Exchanging of Throat Microphones of the Torn. Fu. Radios

1. A defect was identified in the throat mikes (Kmf.2) used in connection with Torn. Fu. b1 & f, in which the power feed is occasionally interrupted. These microphones along with any supplies of their replacement capsules are to be recalled from all troops and service posts by 15th Jan. 1938 and delivered to the Army Arsenal (Signals). The arsenal will arrange cost-free repairs by the manufacturers and deliver them back by 1st March 1938 to the affected troops and posts. Repaired throat mikes for Torn. Fu. b1 & f units will be identified by a small white dot added to the side of the capsule housing.

2. All troops and posts equipped with Torn. Fu. d2 radios are required to check whether the switch boxes on the throat mikes in their possession are new versions according to the following illustration. Throat mikes for the Torn. Fu. d2 still fitted with the old switch boxes are to be notified to the Army Arsenal by 15th January 1938 for replacement. The arsenal will be shipping out microphones with new switch boxes by 10th February 1938. Troops and posts receiving these new microphones are to give up all their mikes with old switch boxes in 8 days of receiving the new models.

3. Each delivery according to 1. or 2. above is to be labeled in the following (a) or (b) manner.
    (a) For Torn. Fu. b1 or f---Throat microphones for repairs
    (b) For Torn. Fu. d---------Throat microphones for exchange

Drawing comment:
    Old Type: Mikes fitted with these old switch boxes are only to be used for Torn. Fu. b1 or f.

New Type: Applicable to all Torn. Fu. models
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of Headsets and Throat mikes for Panzers (1935-1945)  
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 01-28-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Outstanding information
    Thanks for shareing very useful for Pz headset
    Dose other armored unit use differnet Headset??
    Cheers

If those vehicles used the same radios, yes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4