Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Folding shovel covers

Article about: First off, if this is the wrong place for a question like this please move it accordingly - but where are all the original covers?? Did the Norwegians make there own when they reissued WW2 s

Default Folding shovel covers

First off, if this is the wrong place for a question like this please move it accordingly - but where are all the original covers?? Did the Norwegians make there own when they reissued WW2 supplies? or the Dutch - if so why? was it because of the presence of the waffenamt stamp?? Whats so henious about a chunk of animal hide - or pressed cardboard anyway?

It just seems to me to be so disproportionate the amount of shovels that turn up minus the cover ( relative to other German kit )
    and all we who own one can do about it is look at those HORRID attempts at copies ....grrrr!

Sorry, I just hate that gap in my collection.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Folding shovel covers
    P
    Many

Default Re: Folding shovel covers

The Dutch ground off the German stamps and thrwe away the covers, since they rather worn I believe. The Dutch did use the US type hook to attach the shovel to the pack or belt. That also required a different cover. Aside from these ex Geeramn shovels we used US ones. with the US cover and later Dutch clones.

Cheers,
    Emile

Default Re: Folding shovel covers

Hello,
    Postwar, tools were important, not carriers...
    A huge part of those made of leather were issued with tools to the troops during the war and were lost, damaged, saboted...from 1940, first type carriers were made of pressed carboard, a fragile material used only for its low cost...this material can't survive for a long time in the field, so those issued were used to their "death" and a lot of unissued examples remained in stores until they were found and threwn away, burnt or sold to someone who had interest in them (surplus, dealer)...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)