Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Gas Mask, GM38

Article about: Hello folks, submitting for opinions one of a few German gas masks that I own. This one came from fleaBay, minus its canister but with all its straps intact, with a date of 1941 on the snout

?

Unfortunately, noone knows 100% what did or did not existed in wartime without any written or photo evidence - I'm hoping that in the near future, all these mysteries will be solved.

Cheers,
    Fabe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gas Mask, GM38
    P
    Many

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I do have another GM38 with blue metal parts, 44 dated with the carry canister. Will post it on the forum at some point in the near future.
    Appreciate the information that's been discussed here. Anything to help with future questing for a genuine DAK piece. Have seen one for sale on Espenlaub, with the cape and painted canister, but 1300 Euro is a bit rich for me at the moment. Will have to put it on my 'bucket list.'

Best regards, B.B.

Hello,
    The "blue" GM38 as produced since 1943 includes parts made of ferrous metal that would deny the use of the Marschkompass. The blue color is there to say : get another mask if you're gonna use a compass...

Nowadays, two or three tone canisters with carrying straps and complete Gasmask are quite expensive and can sometimes be seen all over the market...(from time to time, the camo job on the canister is even original WWII)...

If you're not ready to spend some big money on a real DAK Gasmask set, then i hope that you get lucky and find one outside the militaria world...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello,
    The "blue" GM38 as produced since 1943 includes parts made of ferrous metal that would deny the use of the Marschkompass. The blue color is there to say : get another mask if you're gonna use a compass...

Nowadays, two or three tone canisters with carrying straps and complete Gasmask are quite expensive and can sometimes be seen all over the market...(from time to time, the camo job on the canister is even original WWII)...

If you're not ready to spend some big money on a real DAK Gasmask set, then i hope that you get lucky and find one outside the militaria world...
    Thanks
    Will post the aforementioned mask in a new thread tonight. The canister is single tone, dark green, and seems to have all its original straps present. The mask itself is unfortunately badly deformed from in-canister storage.

You're quite right about the camouflaged canisters. I've seen some, without the mask, go for huge amounts, especially the 'Normandy Camo' variants. Would be interested to know how many are genuine, and which ones are just very well-done mock-ups.

If I had the money for a DAK mask and canister, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. As it is, all my expendable income goes into my collection. My philosophy is to buy now, before I have household bills to worry about, and then trade and sell for better pieces later on in life. I tend to stick to 'official' and reputable dealers, not being tooled up enough yet to tell a genuine piece from a fake. It means paying more, but the peace of mind is priceless.

Thank you for your continued interest. Having difficulty keeping up with all the threads I've opened!

B.B.

EDIT: New thread posted!
    Last edited by BrodieBartfast; 05-16-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3