Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gas Mask Markings - 1944/45

Article about: Hi all, Recently purchased this gas mask set from a guy in Poland on ebay. Paid \\$150 for it which I figured was a good deal and all are in pretty good condition. One thing that puzzles me is

?

Default Gas Mask Markings - 1944/45

Hi all,

Recently purchased this gas mask set from a guy in Poland on ebay. Paid $150 for it which I figured was a good deal and all are in pretty good condition. One thing that puzzles me is the paint or ink stamped marking present to the filter, can and mask itself. Reads '56x50' & '2/38' on the can lid, '56x50' on the filter with a dot and '56x50' on the rubber mask body....all in the same blue paint. Other markings include the standard manufacturer codes to the various parts, 43' to the snout and 44' to the lenses etc. Found some waffenampt eagle emblems stamped in red under the rubber fold. Any light shed on those blue marking much appreciated.

Ian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gas Mask Markings - 1944/45   Gas Mask Markings - 1944/45  

Gas Mask Markings - 1944/45   Gas Mask Markings - 1944/45  

Gas Mask Markings - 1944/45  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gas Mask Markings - 1944/45
    P
    Many

Hi

Definately a 45 cannister, very nice !! It is a rlt cannister which had the clip for the klarscheibein (and not the spring)
    closure is frn (45) which indicates that the cannister was manufactured in 45.

As for the markings: no idea, but I guess post war since they are all on places that is not normal for german markings (the lid of the can, the mask body itself and the filter .... strange

Tom
    MP44.nl - Welcome to my Website

?

Quote by MP44tom View Post
    Hi

Definately a 45 cannister, very nice !! It is a rlt cannister which had the clip for the klarscheibein (and not the spring)
    closure is frn (45) which indicates that the cannister was manufactured in 45.

As for the markings: no idea, but I guess post war since they are all on places that is not normal for german markings (the lid of the can, the mask body itself and the filter .... strange

Tom
    Hey thanks Tom for your input. Yes I also forgot to consider the straps on the canister, the fact the small belt one is missing and has been altered to a top and bottom over shoulder type configuration might well be in keeping with your assessment, good detective work me thinks. Sorry for the slow response, thanks so much.

regards,
    Ian

?

Very nice one !

I wouldn't worry about it. It's a nice, fairly complete late-war rig you have.
    And it's in reasonable shape too.
    The markings could be post-war, but I doubt it.
    It looks like a unit-applied expedient ID method.
    The "code" could include size and an accountablity-number.
    Some non-front line unit that had no requirement for keeping a personal gasmask.

That would also account for tha fact that there's no owner name to be seen anywhere....

?

Quote by Jeronimo View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's a nice, fairly complete late-war rig you have.
    And it's in reasonable shape too.
    The markings could be post-war, but I doubt it.
    It looks like a unit-applied expedient ID method.
    The "code" could include size and an accountablity-number.
    Some non-front line unit that had no requirement for keeping a personal gasmask.

That would also account for tha fact that there's no owner name to be seen anywhere....
    Hi Jeronimo,

Thanks for your input, yes it's in very good condition. The rubber is perfect, no crazing or dryness at all. The fact all three elements have the same marking gives me some confidence this set might well have been together if not since the war then early post war at least and not a thrown together item passed off as original. All a bit of a mystery, quite a few here have had a look now and both theories posted seem equally likely. Thanks again, this is why I love this site. Welcome aboard by the way!

regards,
    Ian

Hi

THese original masks were used post war by many nations (Danmark / Belgium / Holland etc)

Also the dot on the filter (which probably covers the WaA stamp) suggests these are post war marking....

Just my opinion.....

Tom

?

Quote by NZEF2 View Post
    Hi all,

Recently purchased this gas mask set from a guy in Poland on ebay. Paid $150 for it which I figured was a good deal and all are in pretty good condition. One thing that puzzles me is the paint or ink stamped marking present to the filter, can and mask itself. Reads '56x50' & '2/38' on the can lid, '56x50' on the filter with a dot and '56x50' on the rubber mask body....all in the same blue paint. Other markings include the standard manufacturer codes to the various parts, 43' to the snout and 44' to the lenses etc. Found some waffenampt eagle emblems stamped in red under the rubber fold. Any light shed on those blue marking much appreciated.

Ian

Greetings from Cech. Marking 56 x 50 means year. It's not the letter X, this means that the brand swords in saltire and it is significant for the acceptance of the Czechoslovak army. A lot of German outfit Rig was in storage in the Czechoslovak army, so no surprise that the mask has also been taken, but that does not mean it was used. Otherwise, nice set, congratulations to koupy.Omluvte my spelling, my English, I write through the Google prekladac.Pripadne questions leave me in the post, or in my account, I do not know whether the thread again traced to the other answers, here's a new anemam's still enough of oriented . thank you for understanding.

?

Quote by dandys View Post
    Greetings from Cech. Marking 56 x 50 means year. It's not the letter X, this means that the brand swords in saltire and it is significant for the acceptance of the Czechoslovak army. A lot of German outfit Rig was in storage in the Czechoslovak army, so no surprise that the mask has also been taken, but that does not mean it was used. Otherwise, nice set, congratulations to koupy.Omluvte my spelling, my English, I write through the Google prekladac.Pripadne questions leave me in the post, or in my account, I do not know whether the thread again traced to the other answers, here's a new anemam's still enough of oriented . thank you for understanding.
    Hi dandys!,

Thank you so much for your message and welcome aboard. I think you have now solved for me the meaning of those markings, stands to reason it was a Czech reissue set. I purchased it from a guy in Poland so all makes sense. I have purchased alot of the black painted helmets issued in Czech Rep for restoration purposes years ago. Interesting info on the crossed swords, will have to go do some Czech army research now...any suggested sites? Much appreciated. Ian

?

MP44tom,
    First off, EXCELLENT SITE!!!
    Second ,Thank you. I have a German gas mask and canister that I wasn't sure about because it didn't have the lid strap attachment type I have been seeing. But thanks to your site it looks like I have the early Reichswehr /Wehrmacht model case (1930 - 1935)type
    Once again this site is a great source of fantastic information.
    Thanks!!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast