Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Gas mask "replacement lens" packets? Or anti-condensation inserts?

Article about: Gentlemen: A suggested change in common terminology. We have all seen the small packets routinely found in German gas mask tins typically referred to as "replacement lenses." Are t

Default Have we been making a basic error? Gas mask "replacement lens" packets? Or anti-condensation inserts?

Gentlemen:

A suggested change in common terminology.
    We have all seen the small packets routinely found in German gas mask tins typically referred to as "replacement lenses." Are these actually replacement lenses? I think not. The ones I have handled and examined seem far too flimsy even to work as a temporary replacement. In the packet they seem quite sturdy, but that is only due to the cardboard. Pull one out and have a look. In addition, the instructions on the packets don't suggest a replacement lens. I wonder if these are actually inserts to reduce fogging or condensation, and not intended to be replacement lenses except in perhaps the most serious emergency? The instructions on a typical packet read: ""Klarscheiben" Vor Feuchtigkeit schutzen; nicht wischen, nur am Rand anfassen. / Klarscheibe so einlegen, das Aufdruck "Innenseite" vom Innern der Mask lesbar ist. Which translates to roughly (according to my German ex wife): "Clear Panes, Don't get wet, don't rub, only touch on the edges / Put the Pane into the mask so that the imprint can be read from the inside). It doesn't seem to make sense that soldiers are warned not to get replacement lenses wet, don't rub, don't touch. So what, don't wear the mask in the rain, or in the mud? It would, however, make more sense if they are intended to lay inside the original mask lens in order to combat condensation. I have just put those in my gas mask inside the existing lenses - they fit snug, won't fall out, and create a slight air gap between the thicker outer lens and the thinner insert. I think this might work like double glazing, and significantly reduce condensation in cold or damp climates. Am I way off base here? If I'm correct, we should stop calling them "replacement lenses." How about: "anti-fogging inserts"? What do you all think?
    Every best wish,
    John
    Gas mask "replacement lens" packets?  Or anti-condensation inserts?Gas mask "replacement lens" packets?  Or anti-condensation inserts?
    Last edited by Spitfire1940; 01-26-2013 at 09:27 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gas mask "replacement lens" packets?  Or anti-condensation inserts?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Gas mask "replacement lens" packets? Or anti-condensation inserts?

Hi

You are correct these are insert lenses to prevent the real lenses from fogging.

If the real (hard) lenses had to be replaced, this was done by the Gasschutz Unteroffizier....

Here a box (from a complete Gasschutzvorrat box) which shows the "Klarscheiben" and the Hard lenses (bottom left from the the Klarscheiben)

Tom
    MP44.nl - Welcome to my Website
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gas mask "replacement lens" packets?  Or anti-condensation inserts?  

Thank you very much, Tom. Your response is very informative and interesting. Glad to see that my hunch was not misplaced.
    Best wishes,
    John

?

Hello you guys.

This thread was very interesting for me especially since I just found at my WW2 site (a very exposed to weather and the sea German bunker on the greek coastline) a plastic disc that I almost chucked in the garbage but on a hunch kept it.

The diameter is 6,2 cm and it has a light green, blueish color that is not seen in the photo.
    Is this a "Klarscheibe"?

Here's a pic:

Gas mask "replacement lens" packets?  Or anti-condensation inserts?