Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gasmask can rubber sealer

Article about: Hi Guys - I'd like ask about a somewhat rare item, a gasmask can rubber sealer ring (I don't know the official name for it). I've only seen some installed in tropen painted cans - so my ques

?

Default Gasmask can rubber sealer

Hi Guys -

I'd like ask about a somewhat rare item, a gasmask can rubber sealer ring (I don't know the official name for it).
    I've only seen some installed in tropen painted cans - so my question; was this "exclusive" to tropen cans and for tropical climate (Africa, Balkan, Italy), or all cans were installed with them for certain time-period? It seems like most were never kept, were lost / thrown away, etc.?
    Gasmask can rubber sealerGasmask can rubber sealer

Cheers,
    Fabe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gasmask can rubber sealer
    P
    Many

?

Anyone?

would this go with the cans marked with the "D" (water proof) on the underside?

To my knowledge, these were used with post war canisters. I could be wrong. I have two of them stored away and I believe they were from Bundeswehr gas mask canisters. NH

I just dug out the two I have in storage. One is marked 36582 1 9 and the other one has no markings. Perhaps someone knows what the numeric code means. NH

?

Yes, BW used them post-war as far as I know, but they were no used at all pre-1945?

They were definitely a wartime used item, as stated on can with a D on the bottom. I picked one up when I was about 10 years of age from a family friend who acquired it at Liberation time here in Jersey Channel Islands in May 1945. It was a Kriegsmarine gas mask with the socket for the microphone on the side and the case it was in had the rubber ring fitted. It came straight out of the attic and was exactly as it had been picked up. So I know 100% its original to the case.

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    They were definitely a wartime used item, as stated on can with a D on the bottom. I picked one up when I was about 10 years of age from a family friend who acquired it at Liberation time here in Jersey Channel Islands in May 1945. It was a Kriegsmarine gas mask with the socket for the microphone on the side and the case it was in had the rubber ring fitted. It came straight out of the attic and was exactly as it had been picked up. So I know 100% its original to the case.
    Don't have any documentation to hand but it would make sense for gas mask canisters holding the mic version of the mask to be sealed to avoid salt water contamination if being used with electronic equipment. Perhaps a bespoke KM equipment collector can confirm?

?

I did see this rubber ring installed within some "südfront" cans, like this one from Italy:
    Gasmask can rubber sealerGasmask can rubber sealer

An interesting thread and not a common subject at all. Thanks for the correction Damien - these were present during war time. As I said, I dug out the two I have in my collection. I suspect the markings on one of them is Bundeswehr era. Not sure about the second one. I will post photos. NH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast