MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Gebirgsjäger WW2 Axehead Cover ?

Article about: Hello Everyone, Picked this up, what I was told is a Gebirgsjäger WW2 axehead cover and the maker G.Kieffer - München a well-known leather ware supplier to the Gebirgsjäger. The firm is stil

?

Default Gebirgsjäger WW2 Axehead Cover ?

Hello Everyone,
    Picked this up, what I was told is a Gebirgsjäger WW2 axehead cover and the maker G.Kieffer - München a well-known leather ware supplier to the Gebirgsjäger. The firm is still in business makes saddles & horse tack, etc. I was wondering if any Gebirgsjäger equipment collectors out there have a similar piece ? Still uncertain if indeed mine WW2 period.
    Regards
    Alec
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gebirgsjäger WW2 Axehead Cover ?   Gebirgsjäger WW2 Axehead Cover ?  

Gebirgsjäger WW2 Axehead Cover ?   Gebirgsjäger WW2 Axehead Cover ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gebirgsjäger WW2 Axehead Cover ?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Gebirgsjäger WW2 Axehead Cover ?

I have one in webbing it was found in Norway. The only markings on it is 42.

I would run this by Patrick Kiser. NH

Servus Alec und Bergkameraden,

You have a nice piece of leather there, but it is not an ice axe cover. It is a cover for the adjusting bolts on a Gebirgsjäger packsaddle:

Here's a typical Ice Axe cover:

Muli vor!

Last edited by Heeresbergführer; 01-29-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Well done Patrick!

Cheers, Ade.

?

Christi Patrick,
    Indeed well done - not a easy piece to pin down. Heartening to know it definitely belongs to Gebirgsjäger equipment. I did follow Neil's tip, sending a email to Patrick Kiser, uptill the present, I've had no reply (asumming your not P. Kiser). I did have a fear that this thread would never be unresolved. Digressing a little, you write in your potted portrait Gebirgsjäger Collector - do you have any Gebirgsjäger Unit Ullr's that you may want to show, I for one would be interested. Again thanks.
    Best Wishes
    AlecH

Quote by AlecH View Post
    Christi Patrick,
    Indeed well done - not a easy piece to pin down. Heartening to know it definitely belongs to Gebirgsjäger equipment. I did follow Neil's tip, sending a email to Patrick Kiser, uptill the present, I've had no reply (asumming your not P. Kiser). I did have a fear that this thread would never be unresolved. Digressing a little, you write in your potted portrait Gebirgsjäger Collector - do you have any Gebirgsjäger Unit Ullr's that you may want to show, I for one would be interested. Again thanks.
    Best Wishes
    AlecH

Grüß Di' Jäger Alec,

Glad to be of help to you to ID this item. The Bundeswehr Gebirgsjägers were still using the same type of packsaddle with the same leather cover.

I happen to know this P. Kiser guy pretty well...he's a little slow at times...like an 'alte Muli' (he's the one in the photo above holding the beautiful blonde Haflinger), but he does know a few things about Gebirgsjägers...he's been researching and collecting the stuff for almost 30 years. He even lived in Germany for 10 years. He is also me!

I'll start a new thread about GJ Ullr's and post some photos.

Muli vor!

PK

?

OK Patrick,
    Mystery solved, - look forward to the Ullr posting. Had a piece of luck last weekend picked up, a Gebirgsjäger Rucksack complete in pretty good order and cheap, MM - Rudolf Kurz - Bietigheim / Württ - 1940
    Best Wishes
    AlecH