Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

German Box ID

Article about: OK... it turns out the "EMD" was simply another model of anchored contact mine like the "EMC", so the box label is (in spite of not being able to read it well) saying tha

Default Re: German Box ID

OK... it turns out the "EMD" was simply another model of anchored contact mine like the "EMC", so the box label is (in spite of not being able to read it well) saying that it contains accessories for both.

That, pretty much, is what you have there. An accessory box for laying anchored contact mines of type "C" and type "D".

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German  Box ID
    P
    Many

oh i'm sure someone's got one for you to buy. ha

?

Tempelhof Very nice thank you very much for your help. Gary

of course. my pleasure.

you know, now that i look at it again, the "24" makes sense as well. "24 EMD bzw. 24 EMC"...

"beziehungsweise" can be used in both the sense of "or" or in the sense of "respectively". here i now think it's being used in the sense of "or" so you have basically a box of mine laying or arming accessories or both for "24 (model) EMD (contact mines) OR 24 (model) EMC (contact mines)".

so you probably grabbed this box, opened it up, armed and prepared 24 of either of these models of anchored contact mines and tossed 'em in the water.

not wanting to be overly comprehensive here but the meaning of "bzw." in this context suddenly occurs to me to not be "respectively" but, rather, "or" and that fact adds at least a little additional clarity.

this is therefore a Kriegsmarine box and i noted a previous post stating it did not show up in a Wehrmacht list. This would be why it would not.

for further info, please see:

http://www.lexpev.nl/downloads/germa...emines1946.pdf

Great information tempelhof! That's why the box, or the the text rather, didn't show up in the Wehrmacht lists!

?

Tempelhof thanks again for all the info you have been a great help. Gary

yes. of course. that's what we're all here for.

Quote by tempelhof View Post
    this is therefore a Kriegsmarine box and i noted a previous post stating it did not show up in a Wehrmacht list. This would be why it would not.
    I don't understand that... the Kriegsmarine was part of the Wehrmacht, was it not?

Rob

i think that's an Order of Battle question for the authors of the list referenced. it's a question as to what they were thinking. the box (i have not seen the list) apparently is not there per another poster.

maybe i should have said this is "perhaps" why it would not be on the list. it is hearsay, via another poster, that the list was Wehrmacht and that the box was not included in the list. i am not in the position to explain why not except to say that perhaps the author of the list, for whatever reason, did not include this box specifically or did not include on the list ANY Kriegsmarine box either because they did not see Kriegsmarine as part of the Wehrmacht or because they elected not to include it for their own reasons such as having separated references to Wehrmacht and Kriegsmarine items which, again, would be for their own reasons whatever those might be. I suppose we would have to see the list to hazard a guess, but even then might come up empty handed.

it could be like seeing a list of US Navy items someone compiled that does not include US Marine Corps items. technically, such a list would be incomplete, but the idea that someone could create such a list is not unfathomable.

in this particular instance i guess i can only speculate and should not have spoken definitively. and you can take that as a sort of apology if you are being critical of what i specifically said. it was a bit lazy of me i feel when i look back on it and see what i wrote.

maybe the box actually is on whatever list this is... now that we know what it is and all.
    Last edited by tempelhof; 05-08-2012 at 02:20 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2