Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

German field hospital sign??

Article about: Hi all, I have just brought this german field hospital sign, the seller says it came from the Dutch "Nederland Rode Kruis Museum" opinions? Cheers Dan

Default German field hospital sign??

Hi all,

I have just brought this german field hospital sign, the seller says it came from the Dutch "Nederland Rode Kruis Museum"
    opinions?

Cheers DanGerman field hospital sign??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German field hospital sign??
    P
    Many

?

Did the seller tell you this was German or did you find out somehow?
    I cant see anything that familiarizes this with a country of origin. Also I didn't know museums also gave/sold items to private collections?

Regards,
    Bas

I'd take that with a pinch of salt, personally, could be from anywhere, anytime and painted by anyone ...
    "Per Ardua"

?

Quote by Gimmie View Post
    Did the seller tell you this was German or did you find out somehow?
    I cant see anything that familiarizes this with a country of origin. Also I didn't know museums also gave/sold items to private collections?

Regards,
    Bas
    Some museums do raise money from time to time, by moving on pieces from their collections. There is also the other, somewhat more unfortunate method that sees items leave collections...

Daniel, are there any indications on the reverse of this sign..?

Carl

He said the person he bought it from told him it had come from the Red Cross Museum "Humanity House"? collection. But agree would be good to have evidence of what they had described it as assuming it was displayed at some time.

?

Quote by CARL View Post
    Some museums do raise money from time to time, by moving on pieces from their collections. There is also the other, somewhat more unfortunate method that sees items leave collections...
    Yes we both know what way we meant... Didn't want to say it at first because I didn't know that museums get rid of inventory at all. From what I hear though, most museums have a lot of items that aren't even on display. Although it's never good to steal, some of those items will never see the light of day again.

Regards,
    Bas

?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    He said the person he bought it from told him it had come from the Red Cross Museum "Humanity House"? collection. But agree would be good to have evidence of what they had described it as assuming it was displayed at some time.
    That one seems to be the only red cross museum in the country from what I could find from google maps. Get in contact with them and show them the pictures. Maybe you could verify what he is saying (and) or get some more information on the piece.

Regards,
    Bas

?

That is indeed very true. Especially the larger museums...they have vaults full of material that sadly, rarely, if ever...sees light of day...

I personally have donated material to more than one museum...yet these items have never been shown to the public.

The piece shown in this thread needs to backed up by something though...be it documentation or even, if indeed it has been shown at a public display, photographic evidence - that would be great, patently, for the new owner.

Carl