Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation

Article about: Here you will find some more info: my gasmask collection: Gas Mask Collection I always find it very,very funny how "FE" or "Fe" is invariably mistaken for the abbreviatio

Default The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation

Hi all,
    I have a number of gasmasks and kanisters from the 1939-45 period and I thought a little study of the variations one finds may make an interesting and thought provoking thread.

In addition, a study of the webbing straps used may clear up some long held misnomers about what is good and what is not. For example, to say that "coarse weave" is post war BW and "fine weave" is wartime is true to a point - but too simplistic a statement to make ( without qualification ) as there were MANY types of web styles used.

I also want to look at the mask variations - from the canvas to the full rubber and in between - and the actual mask and filter types.

So, feel free to add your own examples and maybe we can sort out this confusing morass of designs - "oh what a twisted webbing we weave"

Here first is an overview of my collection....cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation   The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation  

The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation   The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation
    P
    Many

Default Re: The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation

Here are my only 2 examples. One of them has the postwar straps which are coarse weave.

The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variationThe German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation
    The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variationThe German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation

Thanks for your example Roger - an early leather tipped strap variation is one of the ones I will explain in due course. With regard to the "coarse vs fine weave" idea, consider this - coarse weave webbing WAS used during the period .... British pattern 37 webbing is coarse weave as is US and Canadian. Early tropical webbing ( German ) varies also in weave coarseness...... more on this later.

Thanks, Dan. I appreciate you starting this. I think the gas mask & canister is an icon of the Landser, and would like to learn more about them.

Here are examples of the many styles of mask one can come across - full and partial rubber, ordnance tan painted fittings, blue and normal, variations of filter etc.... much can be quite confusing as changes were made over the years. I will go into these one by one as the thread moves along.

There will also be anomalies found - like a filter stamped 'April 1944' but also stamped 'TP' ( for tropical use!!!!! ) and a Danish post war issue of a TOTALLY wartime manufactured unit ( waffenamt and all )

While the paranoia over possible gas usage eventually went away, a mask was probably still considered useful for smoke and burning city fighting I suppose?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation   The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation  

Dan, i've got one of the shorter kanisters about 24.5cm high and it's dated 1937, who used those?..

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Dan, i've got one of the shorter kanisters about 24.5cm high and it's dated 1937, who used those?..
    They were made only for 2 years ( 1936-38 ) and used the rubberized canvas M30 mask. The later type M38 is all rubber and with it's introduction, the can got taller. Some say the early mask is more flexible but I cannot see that. Any ideas out there??
    Dan

Can I also say that with this thread, I do NOT want to try to top the excellent website MP44.nl - German Uniforms and Equipment that goes into great detail on this and other equipment subjects but only to ADD to the knowledge Tom has provided there. I would encourage all to have a look and report back here if you have something Tom has not clarified ..... and with respect, there are questions still to be answered.
    Cheers, Dan

Quote by Danmark View Post
    They were made only for 2 years ( 1936-38 ) and used the rubberized canvas M30 mask. The later type M38 is all rubber and with it's introduction, the can got taller. Some say the early mask is more flexible but I cannot see that. Any ideas out there??
    Dan
    Oooh a fair bit rarer then!....

Dan

Fab thread, I will get my 4 examples on here after the new year break, interesting stuff.

cheers

tony

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast