Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation

Article about: Here you will find some more info: my gasmask collection: Gas Mask Collection I always find it very,very funny how "FE" or "Fe" is invariably mistaken for the abbreviatio

Default Re: The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation

Here you will find some more info:
    my gasmask collection: Gas Mask Collection

I always find it very,very funny how "FE" or "Fe" is invariably mistaken for the abbreviation of the Latin word "Ferrum",i.e. Eisen in German.There was no need to specify that these filters were made of iron (in Latin...no less!),since the masks with magnetic components to them had the snout and eyepieces painted blue.
    "FE" or "Fe" simply would stand for "Flter Einsatz" which roughly translate with "Filter unit = Filter cartridge",even if some say it means "Filter Einheit"!
    Regards
    Last edited by Horrido; 12-30-2012 at 08:25 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation
    P
    Many

Thank you Horrido - a LOT of good information there ( but a HUGE page to load )
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hi

here is my modest collection of gasmasks and related items.

From the left:

This tin is tan ordinance paint and is dated 1939. The straps have the rubber ends and are dated 1943 and 1944 and marked ebd.
    The mask is a 1938 pattern dated 1940 and the filter is 1942 marked FE. The tin height is 27.5cm and 12.5cm diameter as per manufacturing regs.

Second tin dated 1940 and has the leather style support on the straps.

Third gasmask tin is the early smaller pattern with standard closing clip and has a ask dated 1941.

Final one is 1936 dated tin with the different closing device found only on the tins made in this year. mask is 1930 pattern with canvas rubberised cloth and is also dated 1936. Filter has the date 1937 and inside the spring still holds the cleaning cloth ! It gets better as in the spare lens box are the lens along with the name Uffz. KF Schweiger.

These tins were 25cm high and 12.5cm in diameter.

As we have already established every one is different and they all have their unique personalities IMO

The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variationThe German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variationThe German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation

cheers

tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation  

Very nice, Tony. Lots of unique items there.

Here are a few examples of the anti-gas ointment and decontamination fluid issued to every soldier.

First the LOSANTIN ' skin detoxifier' ( or Hautentgiftungsmittel ) which was a bleach-like tablet designed to be crushed into a paste and applied to the affected skin. This is what the DAK troops used to bleach their caps!!

The second is the replacement product, 'skin decontamination ointment' (Hautentgiftungssalbe ) which was a liquid product. The orange container was for personal use and the brown was for equipment.

Again, Tom goes into more detail on his website MP44.nl - German Uniforms and Equipment - Hautentgiftung

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation   The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation  

Here is an interesting canister - supposedly reissued ( post war? ) to Denmark ( that's how I bought it anyway )
    The canister was made in 1944 and has the "normal" wartime webbing, mask and FE41 filter ( with the waffenamt ink stamp removed )

It has been properly repainted DARK BROWN with an overstamped crown and 'SA'. ( after painting )
    You can see the original colour on the inside..... must have been leftover stock?

I would love to know more about it ........ any Danish experts out there?

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation   The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation  

The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation   The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation  

There are some awesome items on this thread guys !!

Here is my Mask and canister

Nice early Auer gas mask with early FE37 filter.
    Canister seems to be period painted in Panzergrau. Never saw a canister with a white rubber waterproofing ring (saw only black ones). Canister with this ring are scarce! In all a rather desirable (even scarce) example of a very common piece of equipment imo, what do you guys think?

Nick

The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation   The German Gasmask and kanister - a study in variation  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi can someone please a ball park figure to how much a cannister and mask should cost as there seems to be a rather wide range prices....from £50-£300 which is extremely high to say the least....cheers Jake.

Hi Jake

My combo above was £70

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Hi Nick that was a pretty nice price....on the www.germanmilitaria collectors site they average £130 which i thought was very high but also someone on US ebay trying there luck asking a whopping £320 pure robbery on that one......cheers Jake.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast