Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

German mess kit???

Article about: have a mess kit that I think may be German but not sure it is stamped ZPSLZ41, also have eating utensils that I do not know country of origin stamped 1943, any help is greatly appreciated, t

dougdavis2000
    ?

Default German mess kit???

have a mess kit that I think may be German but not sure it is stamped ZPSLZ41, also have eating utensils that I do not know country of origin stamped 1943, any help is greatly appreciated, thanksGerman mess kit???German mess kit???German mess kit???German mess kit???German mess kit???German mess kit???German mess kit???German mess kit???German mess kit???German mess kit???German mess kit???German mess kit???

2. # ADS

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum Doug. I'm sure those with more knowledge will be around shortly.

A few things.

The mess kit appears to be a mix match of the upper and lower. On the side of the low part in between the two rivets holding the wire handle, there should also be some markings.

The 41 in ZPSLZ41 is the date of manufacture (as noted above there should be similar markings on the bales that hold the wire handle to the body)

Here is a quick overview of these M31 messkits.

The M31 Messkit and Wartime Variants

Also check out this website (from a member here )

MP44.nl - German Uniforms and Equipment - Essgeschirr

Edit: Hopefully someone can help out with the maker code on the top part. It is odd to me. It is NOT ZPSLZ, but looks more like ZPS t Z. Never seen this but not my area of expertise....maybe it is not german...don't know myself
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

In addition to MAPs comments it is quite common to have mismatched lids and bases to mess tins. As the bases got filled with soup or gruel at the field kitchens the wrong tops often went back on ( thats why some were initialed like this one)
    Also even with matched sets the bases got put over a fire and were blackened or discolored so they appear to be different.
    Regards, Dan
    Last edited by Danmark; 10-05-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

dougdavis2000
    ?

thanks for the info, and it does look like a 't' , i will check the side and post what i find, and again thanks for the help

Maker:

Zieh-, Preß- u Stanzwerk
    Schwarz&Co.
    Zwintschöna- Halle/Saale

Tom