Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

German skull and crossbones on a pennant

Article about: This one has me stumped, I am familiar withthe small triangular gas/mine warning pennants but I have not come across one of these before. Its 19cm x 19cm with a metal bar top and bottom with

Default German skull and crossbones on a pennant

This one has me stumped, I am familiar withthe small triangular gas/mine warning pennants but I have not come across one of these before. Its 19cm x 19cm with a metal bar top and bottom with string added at the top. The material is exactly the same as the smaller ga/mine pennants mentioned previously.
    Do any of you know what these were used for, any photos of a similar item in use would be great. Please let me know what you know.
    Email me at damienhorn1@gmail.com
    All the best from Jersey.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German skull and crossbones on a pennant   German skull and crossbones on a pennant  

German skull and crossbones on a pennant   German skull and crossbones on a pennant  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German skull and crossbones on a pennant
    P
    Many

Default Re: German skull and crossbones on a pennant

Hi D, I am certain the usage of these is the same: marking of poison gas contaminated areas. Maybe used on buildings or vehicles?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I have seen this version before, but not in period pics and I would agree with Ade that it has the same or similar function as the more commonly seen triangular gas warning marker.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry, did you see a post by new forum member Angus last night re his German armbands. He shows a similar printed deathshead.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi,
    I agree with you, now i just want to see a period photo or one shown in a manual. Its make up and quality shows it to be an original period piece but just that bit more would be nice.
    D.

?

As stated above, I would think that this pattern was used on buildings. The pattern shown below, i.e. the more commonly recognised format, was used as part of a kit, complete with poles for inserting into the ground. The example shown above clearly can't be utilised in such a fashion, so one would expect that it was used on buildings, structures or the like.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German skull and crossbones on a pennant   German skull and crossbones on a pennant  

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Jerry, did you see a post by new forum member Angus last night re his German armbands. He shows a similar printed deathshead.

Cheers, Ade.
    I did not notice it Ade, which section is it posted in?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

It was a thread started by Brocky under German Arm Bands

Quote by davejb View Post
    It was a thread started by Brocky under German Arm Bands
    Thanks Dave, I found it.
    Regards,

Jerry