Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German SS Lighter. Any thoughts?

Article about: by Bond It appears that someone has cut the ends of the wings off the eagle to make it fit the size of the lighter. Good point, never noticed it. So basically is a nice piece of vintage ligh

Default German SS Lighter. Any thoughts?

Hello everyone, my first post here.
    I have, among other things, this piece which i never happened to see anywhere else. The story behind it is I don't know much about it. It was bought in Athens (Greece, just to avoid ambiguities with american towns) on the flea market. It was dirtier, I cleaned it. Made of copper i think, engraving around spark mechanism (which works by the way) says "patent austria IMCO 2500".
    Could well be from the time when the city of Athens was occpied by German forces. I asked once a dealer/collector he said it's a curious piece, surely not a standard part of equipment, probably a gift from on afficer to another... but that's just suppositions of course.
    So... any thoughts? (Also an estimate about it's possible value would be nice if anyone has a clue (not intending to sell it, just to know what do I have in hand)).
    Thanks!German SS Lighter. Any thoughts?German SS Lighter. Any thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German SS Lighter. Any thoughts?
    P
    Many

Default Re: German SS Lighter. Any thoughts?

Hello, Wecome on the forum,
    Surely one piece for tourist, it's a long time Athen was occupied.

Nice old lighter with added repro/fake crap.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by lebus12 View Post
    Hello, Wecome on the forum,
    Surely one piece for tourist, it's a long time Athen was occupied.

Thanks, well, never said I was a tourist there. And of course I didn't buy it at the souvenir shop among postcards... I'm not questioning it's legit-ness, I'm confident it is (tho I make mistakes too, but before claiming the fake please state why)... I'm asking rather if anyone has seen one, known of or had one, or in general if anyone has any piece of knoledge I might not be aware of to share with me.

?

Wouldn't it say "Österreich" rather than "Austria"?

Quote by Eddie View Post
    Had the same question when i first read it...

Quote by Eddie View Post
    Good point Eddie. I'll tell you why, the 2500 model Imco (Julius Meister & Co.) lighter was made for the American market from 1937 onwards. It's a shame it's been buggered with as these are fairly rare, I used to own a plain chromed finish one years ago, and that's how I know!

Schmokin', Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

A search soon brought this up:

IMCO 2500: Made by Julius Meister & Co. (IMCO) in Vienna ca. 1937. An unusual
    Imco model, a semi-automatic design with a simple but ingenious mechanism. Probably made for the USA-market. Patented by Julius Petravic in Austria (1923) and Hans Silberknopf in USA in 1936.

My strong feeling is a period lighter but with added repro insignia. This is a favourite trick with fakers. The SS closely guared their patented insignia and something of this nature would not have been allowed for sale.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

It appears that someone has cut the ends of the wings off the eagle to make it fit the size of the lighter.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

In the last 10 years or so, there has been a lot of this sort of thing appearing.
    Lighters, pocketwatch cases, cigarette cases, clocks, ashtrays, etc. All rather
    common 'everyday use' non-military items made of brass which have had
    poorly cast or stamped Third Reich emblems attached/soldered
    onto them. Sorry.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast