Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

German Straight Entrenching Tool

Article about: Typical straight ET of German manufacture it has a light makers stamp in the blade and possible ink writing and Waa on handle I have seen these welded type as early as dates 1940 I have no i

Default German Straight Entrenching Tool

Typical straight ET of German manufacture it has a light makers stamp in the blade and possible ink writing and Waa on handle I have seen these welded type as early as dates 1940 I have no idea of the year of this one as it is not dated that I can find. timothy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Straight Entrenching Tool   German Straight Entrenching Tool  

German Straight Entrenching Tool   German Straight Entrenching Tool  

German Straight Entrenching Tool   German Straight Entrenching Tool  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Straight Entrenching Tool
    P
    Many

pity the handle's been cleaned.but ok.

Hello,
    the change from riveted type to welded type did occur between 1934 and 1935.
    I do own a welded type shovel 1935 dated.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Interesting JPhillip I didn't know they went that far back thanks for your info I had one with folded ears WW1 pattern dated 1935 with a Weimar eagle Waa on blade it had a lot of unit stamps on blade and handle and was riveted. These ET could be a whole reference written on them I have a couple also that came out of Norway with the Green Norway paint one is pointed maybe Austrian and one is the Wolf head Polish? they are both from the Norway capture and I removed the green paint from them I will try to post them in the future. Once again thanks for the help as I knew this was WW2 from the construction of it. timothy

Hello Timothy,
    Yes the wolf head is for a polish maker...
    Straight shovels with pointed blade may be austrian, czech or even hungarian...

several of my shovels come from a seized stock from german prisoners that were repainted green and packed in wooden boxes...there were hundreds of them, many from german manufacture, but also a large amount of captured tools. I managed to get two imperial russian shovels produced in 1907 and 1914, originally with straight blades, that have been most probably captured by the austro-hungarian army during WWI as their blade was modified to pointed shape...and they ended in the hands of german soldiers somewhere in France in 1944 or 1945, which means that they were taken from a czech or austrian stock by the german army in 1938 or 1939 and used until they were captured again by allied troops...

there's also the famous story of russian imperial shovels with a hole in the blade used by the german army ...between their use by the russian army and the german army, they had been in the hands of the Red Army that deleted the imperial eagle stamped by making a hole in the blade...some of these tools were also in this stock packed in France.

If you want to study the history of the straight shovel among european armies, you have to study the history of Europa and both world wars...

Here two photos of the 1935 dated shovel...a high quality production...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)