Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Telephone Wire Reel

Article about: Hi all. Making a rare venture onto the German side of the forum to ask about this piece that I acquired the other day. Just got it as I liked it, but I was wondering as to how common these a

Default German Telephone Wire Reel

Hi all. Making a rare venture onto the German side of the forum to ask about this piece that I acquired the other day. Just got it as I liked it, but I was wondering as to how common these are. I have seen some on the internet but usually attached to the back pack. I am unsure as to whether the cable is original. Any comments would be much appreciated. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Telephone Wire Reel   German Telephone Wire Reel  

German Telephone Wire Reel   German Telephone Wire Reel  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Telephone Wire Reel
    P
    Many

The real looks good but cable is probably post war. Czechoslovak army used them after the war.

This is a bona-fide TR German cable reel. They were used post war by many entities and were still in use by organizations like firefighters very recently. Photo shows a pair of backpack reels in use (they could be reeled out from front or back), a Firefighter using one in West Germany and several cable types. I can't tell if the cable on yuor reel is WWII era but probably not. They are not rare. The smaller reels (17.5 cm) are much harder to locate. NH

German Telephone Wire ReelGerman Telephone Wire ReelGerman Telephone Wire Reel

Thanks for the replies. I had no idea they were used until so recently. Just picked it up as I have not seen one before

Can you take a photo of the end of the cable? It may match the G cable in the photo. NH

there was a few of these laying about at the Calais battery site,now buried under the chunnel spoil.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    there was a few of these laying about at the Calais battery site,now buried under the chunnel spoil.
    Off you go then H. Don't forget to post us a card to say how you're getting on......

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

By all means - excavate! Neil

Oddly enough, my German grandmother worked in Mannheim's "Kabelwerk" producing the communications wire, lol...She survived several bombing raids, but her foreman was killed...
    cheers, Glenn

Doe anyone knows if there are stamps of markings on the spool itself? I've found one today in Norway and I am wandering if I could detect any german markings on it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast