Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Goggles, Glasses & Optics from the (WWI & WWII) Period

Article about: Hey All, Thought I would post some of my eye ware & optics related pieces to the forum for your reference and looksie. Added the 295 Model Luftwaffe just recently so thought I would shar

?

Default Goggles, Glasses & Optics from the (WWI & WWII) Period

Hey All,

Thought I would post some of my eye ware & optics related pieces to the forum for your reference and looksie. Added the 295 Model Luftwaffe Flight Goggles just recently so thought I would share some of others as well. Hope you enjoy. Have a good weekend!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Goggles, Glasses & Optics from the (WWI & WWII) Period   Goggles, Glasses & Optics from the (WWI & WWII) Period  

Goggles, Glasses & Optics from the (WWI & WWII) Period   Goggles, Glasses & Optics from the (WWI & WWII) Period  

Goggles, Glasses & Optics from the (WWI & WWII) Period   Goggles, Glasses & Optics from the (WWI & WWII) Period  

"It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Goggles, Glasses & Optics from the (WWI & WWII) Period
    P
    Many

?

Default Snow

Hey Rossi, Nice items and pics as well..
    The goggles like these were for "The Mountain Troops" to prevent Snow Blindness..
    IMO and designed from the Ancient Eskimos..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Goggles, Glasses & Optics from the (WWI & WWII) Period  
    Attached Images Attached Images Goggles, Glasses & Optics from the (WWI & WWII) Period 

?

Thanks Gwar...I love these goggles. Probably my favorite pair and took me forever to settle on decent quality pair. I have found only 1 actual photo of Gebirgsjager wearing them in the field on a mountain slope and regret not buying it. Have seen pictures of them wearing tons of other snow goggle options as well. I had read something years ago about the ancient design of these. Thanks for validating that. I think maybe us idiot Vikings in MN might have even designed them along with Lutefisk here in the frozen tundra.

Here are 3 photos from a Gebirgsjager Album I have showing some troops with a variety of snow goggles worn for sun protection. The ones with the white rims are pretty cool.

Quote by Gwar View Post
    Hey Rossi, Nice items and pics as well..
    The goggles like these were for "The Mountain Troops" to prevent Snow Blindness..
    IMO and designed from the Ancient Eskimos..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Goggles, Glasses & Optics from the (WWI & WWII) Period   Goggles, Glasses & Optics from the (WWI & WWII) Period  

Real nice thread Rossi you have some good ones and some harder to find ones like the snow goggles I posted some of mine here while back that eagle on your bino case is typical police eagle as opposed to the Waa military one you find this police eagle on leather holsters and police related assessories some times followed by the letter B,C,etc under the wing also found on s84/98 police contract on the spine of the blade or the muzzle curvature. timothy

?

Timothy...Cool data on that Eagle on the leather case. Love you picked up on that as it is my least favorite Eagle in my whole collection. Told my Grandfather it looked fake and like a road runner bird. That purchase was odd. We got this from a German family 20 years ago who sold us a Hitler Youth Marine Grouping Album & some other items. How this bino set fit in the whole buy or how we bought them I don't know. We were told they were used by his family prior to WWII but who knows with stories. They are used and salty and guess they were cheap back then. I like them regardless of condition. The binos are not military issue to my knowledge and were made in the 1915 to 1916 by Carl Zeiss. I also know the Hensoldt Wetzlar case I believe does not go with these pair of glasses. I love CARL ZEISS OPTICS.

Carl Zeiss opened an optics workshop in Jena in 1846. By 1847 he was making microscopes full-time. By 1861 Zeiss was considered to be among the best scientific instruments in Germany with about 20 people working under him with his business still growing. By 1866 the Zeiss workshop sold their 1,000th microscope. In 1872 physicist Ernst Abbe joined Zeiss and along with Otto Schott designed greatly improve lenses for the optical instruments they were producing. After Carl Zeiss's death in 1888, the business was incorporated as the Carl-Zeiss-Stiftung in 1889. In 1928 Hensoldt AG was acquired by Carl Zeiss and has produced the Zeiss binoculars and riflescopes since 1964. This would occasionally result in twin products being offered under both the Hensoldt and Zeiss brand names. The Hensoldt System Technology division (resulting from a merger of the military optics operations of Leica and Hensoldt) was continued by Zeiss under the Hensoldt name until 2006.

So I know....I am a geek on data Sorry!

Great items, i really like the snow goggles!....

You're welcome Rossi some will say and it may be that that eagle was used on NSDAP items I have just seen it on lots of known police items and seems to be stamped on these items I agree it is a crude eagle and often when you find them on a s84/98 usually a commercial bayonet by Alcoso, Paul Wyensenburg etc it is poorly stamped no military Waa found on it or other items so I believe it to be police acceptance George Wheeler in Seitengewher covers it a lot and notes how it is found on police leather items. timothy

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Great items, i really like the snow goggles!....
    Repro's of them and other types are available here:

Goggles

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks Ned! I see a pair for Jeep riding I am going to score!

Quote by big ned View Post
    Repro's of them and other types are available here:

Goggles

Regards, Ned.