Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A Good Day today, nice ammo box, can anyone tell me what it's for (P1)

Article about: Well here is the first post of nice Military Bits I got today at the antique market. It is a 43 dated ammo box, does anyone know what type of ammo it was for? I will remove the paper shippin

?

Default A Good Day today, nice ammo box, can anyone tell me what it's for (P1)

Well here is the first post of nice Military Bits I got today at the antique market.
    It is a 43 dated ammo box, does anyone know what type of ammo it was for?

I will remove the paper shipping labels as there are 4 of them

Dean O
    Canada

A Good Day today, nice ammo box, can anyone tell me what it's for (P1)A Good Day today, nice ammo box, can anyone tell me what it's for (P1)A Good Day today, nice ammo box, can anyone tell me what it's for (P1)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A Good Day today, nice ammo box, can anyone tell me what it's for (P1)
    P
    Many

It looks to me as if the stencil on the side may read on the top "Heeres Munition" which means military (army) munitions the english meaning of which includes both ammunition and weapons and below that "seitengew(ehr) 30 stk". Seitengewehr literally means sidearms but there is another connotation exactly as in English which is bayonet. stk is short for stuck meaning piece(s). So maybe a box for 30 bayonets.

How big is it?

WWII German wooden boxes like this usually had a label on the inside and somewhere around the edge of the sides under the lid would be a stamped Waffen Ampt mark. Are either of these to be found. Can you show pics of the inside?

Regards

Mark

Not Seitengewehr, but "Gesamtgew." which means Gesamt Gewicht (Total Weight) ... Kg

Looks like a box for Rifle Grenades, but this can only be confirmed by labels (which may be inside)

Tom

?

Thanks Guys, but the labels are gone from the inside.

Dean O

[QUOTE=MP44tom;1317671]Not Seitengewehr, but "Gesamtgew." which means Gesamt Gewicht (Total Weight) ... Kg QUOTE]

Yep, good call I think. My suggestion would be too many letters and it certainly looks more like Kg at the end

Mark

Hard to tell without the additional labels. Can we get an inside view? Does the lid have any remnants of lettering? That is where you would find a designation for content or possibly something like Nicht Werfen! Luftdicht Verpackt. The translation means something like Do not drop! and Airtight packed or as we might know it in the US - waterproof packed. NH