Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Got gas, need mask ?

Article about: Good evening everyone I was wondering whether anyone might be in a position to assist me in identifying the gas mask below. I aquired the mask simply to get the air filter which came with it

Default Got gas, need mask ?

Good evening everyone

I was wondering whether anyone might be in a position to assist me in identifying the gas mask below.

I aquired the mask simply to get the air filter which came with it to complete a German Army WW2 gas mask. Now that I have it, I'd like to make certain that it is not also a German WW2 mask before I dispose of it (it smells really bad and the wife is none-too-pleased!).

If you access this website, the 3rd mask under the heading Sweden seems to match my mask very well :

my gasmask collection: Gas Mask Collection

Also, the only markings in the mask itself are:

* Svensk Tilly(can't make out the rest)
    * the digit "2" outside and inside between the lenses (which I believe indicate the size as "medium")

The headstraps, mask and materials match the wartime German masks exactly. The differences are the strange black cap on the left side, the lense frames which are silver and the chrome ring around the "mouth" of the mask.

I'm pretty certain this is a post-war Swedish mask, but would like your expert opinion before it lands in the trash.

Many thanks in advance.

Warm regards

Adolf
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Got gas, need mask ?   Got gas, need mask ?  

Got gas, need mask ?   Got gas, need mask ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Got gas, need mask ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Got gas, need mask ?

Svensk - Swedish

Yes, very German M30 looking but the snout is different to what I have come across. Whatever it is, it is a rare variant with the side port for a microphone attachment so I wouldn't be binning it just yet. Spray some odor remover on it or leave it outside in the sun for a few days to kill any smells. I think you may have a rare variant there.
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Actually on second glance, there seems to be no 'exhale vent' ( you breathe in through the filter but out through a vent ) This may be the vent with a 2 way valve............ looks the same as the mic port on German masks and that threw me.
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thank-you Dan, much appreciated. It is one of those things that seems to want to stick around, hence the thread. Just difficult to put into a collect when the origin is not clear. The website that was on my post is very interesting wrt gas masks, didn't realise how much variation there is !

PS - Your profile pic and the tag line are awesome !

Aha, I think we are getting closer to the origin of this mask. Thank-you Meyle

The removable piece on the left hand side (if you were wearing it) is the exhale valve, not the mic port. Its a small piece of glass which is held shut by a spring, on exhaling the spring is depressed which creates an opening for the exhaled air to escape. Some German masks, had an almost identical type of exhale valve. It does have a lot of parts very similar to those on German masks, however I would say that its Swedish based on the markings. Certainly an interesting piece that shouldn't be thrown in the bin!

Thanks

Danny