Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Handgrenaten Case, lined with newspaper

Article about: Gday All, Picked this nice case up today....it is lined with newspapers from 1943/44 from Budaspest, even appears to have the name of someone who recieved the paper....also a bag of desicant

?

Default Handgrenaten Case, lined with newspaper

Gday All,

Picked this nice case up today....it is lined with newspapers from 1943/44 from Budaspest, even appears to have the name of someone who recieved the paper....also a bag of desicant was inside.

This is a case that i can possibly place to a location and time period....not bad!

Im thinking about placing the newspaper in acide proof plastic sheets and keeping them in the case
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Handgrenaten Case, lined with newspaper   Handgrenaten Case, lined with newspaper  

Handgrenaten Case, lined with newspaper   Handgrenaten Case, lined with newspaper  

Handgrenaten Case, lined with newspaper   Handgrenaten Case, lined with newspaper  

Handgrenaten Case, lined with newspaper  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Handgrenaten Case, lined with newspaper
    P
    Many

Default Re: Handgrenaten Case, lined with newspaper

Nice one Tone!
    I can imagine a refugee using this a s their suitcase in post war Hungary!
    I have been looking for one for ages but they all seem in Europe ( duh!! ) and with postage it breaks the bank......
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

I got it in Sydney, somebody walked in with it at the dealers.....who knows, the newspapers date roughly around the time of the Budapest encirclemnent, so god knows what unit used it, and where the grenades ended up!

Personally, I would just leave the newspapers where they are. They've been in there for nearly 7 decades now-they may as well stay there! It's not like you're going to re-fill it with grenades!(Or Are you? lol)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Yeh, I suppose your right....I'm actually going to use it to store a large RKF and party flag sealed in vacuum bags

If anything I will have the papers as they are just with a acid free plastic sheet over theming the bottom....anyone else seen one of those little bags?

There also appears to be lots of references to "SS" in the paper....wether its the units or a ship, I'm not sure

Well, this case weights 5 kilos so nor a very good suitcase. I have several of them in my collection. Your case is much more rare because it is not for M24 but for M39 grenades. If You want a complete case, it is almost impossible to find a original rack for M39-s. I have seen only 3-4 in my all life and prices are extreemlt high.

?

Nice 'nade case

?

A very nice case Tony in good condition , as has been pointed out getting the wooden inserts for the interior is very difficult but it would be nice to find some for a csae for the Eig Granate in this condiition. Although the papers are dated about 16 months prior to the Siege og Budapest and the Stalingrad of the Waffen SS hopefully someone with some knowledge of Hungarian can do a translation.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Maybe I remember not correctly but in metal M39 cases the inner rack was also metal, wooden boxed had wooden inserts. I tried to find a picture from my computer but seems I do not have it.

?

Thanks for the input!

It was a case of I passed a bloke walking out of the shop, I went in, dealer said "g'day tony, look what just came in!"....once I saw the newspapers in it, a deal was struck!
    I at first thought it was for stck grenades, but obviously it's not! the insert would be a nice to have, but I'm more than happy, especially the fact that I can plac this to a time and place possibly....always liked these, but getting one shipped from overseas would be a hassle....
    Lucky find!

- - Updated - -

Thanks for trying Frundsberg!

Has anyone seen one of those little bags before, not sure if it's WW2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast