Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help-1940 Carl Zeiss 6 x 30 Dienstglas Binoculars

Article about: I found these at the local Goodwill and purchased them when I saw that they were “Carl Zeiss-Jena” binoculars. One large optic lens does show some striation and what appears to be some form

Default Help-1940 Carl Zeiss 6 x 30 Dienstglas Binoculars

I found these at the local Goodwill and purchased them when I saw that they were “Carl Zeiss-Jena” binoculars. One large optic lens does show some striation and what appears to be some form of loss of coating, wear is visible on both lens, when you look through them they focus with excellent clarity and no noticeable loss of image. The only markings on these binoculars are, on the left body, “Carl Zeiss Jena” and, on the right body, “Dienstglas 6 x 30 H/6400” with serial no. “2004634”. From the web post http://www.europa.com/~telscope/zeissbin.bt by the serial number these binoculars were made in 1940. The bride between lens bodies movies with a firm stiff motion while the twin eye optic focus rings have a less stiff fluid movement. The bodies of the binoculars have what appears to be leather like textured surfaces. The hard Bakelite (?) eye piece lens surrounds are in undamaged condition, while the screw cover/protectors for the large lens show heavy wear and some gouges in the aluminum (?). I assume these are aluminum as they are very light. What appears to be the original leather neck strap is still supple without cracks. When I purchased these my original intention given their very fine optics, size and light weight was to clean off the surface patina find a nice small padded case and use them. However, exploring online it appears these may have quite a bit more value than the $12.00 I paid for them, and I know that if you have a historically valuable item the last thing you want to do is clean it, e.g. the cleaned Colt Single Action Peacemaker revolver which looses thousands of dollars in value from the cleaning. I can find no military markings or markings of the Nazi era on these binoculars. Can you tell me more about them, again unless these are of a value too great for use, my first inclination is still to clean them and enjoy their optics, small size and light weight, while knowing the historical significance of their wear marks, but am I correct to assume they went through the Second World War? Thanks for any help you can provide.Help-1940 Carl Zeiss 6 x 30 Dienstglas Binoculars

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help-1940 Carl Zeiss 6 x 30 Dienstglas Binoculars
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help-1940 Carl Zeiss 6 x 30 Dienstglas Binoculars

Here is another picture of the binoculars.Help-1940 Carl Zeiss 6 x 30 Dienstglas Binoculars

The Dienstglas mark shows they are service glasses and would have been military issue whilst the h/6400 means they have a range finder graticule in them. Nice pair and a good price, I have a similar set with serial number 1914366. If you check very carefully you might find some small waffenamt eagle stamps on the cross beams.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help-1940 Carl Zeiss 6 x 30 Dienstglas Binoculars  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Jerry covers most of your questions,as he says ww2 German not of huge value I think most go for between £50- 80 depending on condition,I would just clean the surface dirt off and as you say if they are optically good use them,I use all of my collection both big and small,as 99% of modern binos don't come anywhere near these old binoculars

Thanks Jerry and Flak for your advice and comments. I think I will just go ahead with my original plan and clean them up for current use as their optical quality is very good and their size and light weight are great for a car/back pack set of binoculars. What would you both suggest for a case? I see their are historically correct cases, but I wonder if a nice padded nylon case wouldn't work just at well? I will take off the leather strap and see if it can be restored, if not are there replacement leather straps available?