Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help Identifying Strange Scope Item

Article about: Hello all, new to the forum. I've collected militaria for the better part of 30 yrs but I must say with this item I am at a loss. The background on it is I got it with some MG-34 stuff. Havi

fokkerflyer
    ?

Default Help Identifying Strange Scope Item

Hello all, new to the forum. I've collected militaria for the better part of 30 yrs but I must say with this item I am at a loss. The background on it is I got it with some MG-34 stuff. Having said that, I don't think it's related to the MG-34 or for that matter maybe not even German.

It is a small scope of some sort measuring 5 inches in total length. It can be adjusted for focus as seen in the pic and the tube/barrel rotates around the base albeit stifly. The base has a threaded cap on it that reveals a square lense. There are also 3 slats running down the tube as well. The base portion is knurled. It is of metal construction and doesn't have a mark on it. Any ideas on something such as this? As stated, I really don't think it has anythinbg to do with the MG-34, or even a weapon, etc. Any help would be appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Identifying Strange Scope Item   Help Identifying Strange Scope Item  

Help Identifying Strange Scope Item  

2. # ADS

fokkerflyer
    ?

Default Re: Help Identifying Strange Scope Item

Back in pandora's box for another 10 yrs I reckon

CMc
    ?

I like it, but I haven't a clue what it is! It's unfortunate that it doesn't carry any markings that could at least tell you who made it and when.

ian
    ?

hi do the optics have any reticul or graticul paterns / marks , ive seen and used something very simmilar but much larger for alighning bearings in a gas turbine
    engine , any further details may help to identify it ,cheers ian

?

If it were German, I'd expect markings up the wazoo...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

fokkerflyer
    ?

Exactly, I really don't think it is German for the simple fact of lack of markings. German optics manufacturers mark their items well. There's not so much as a waffenampt on the thing so I really don't think is wartime either.

There are no marks in the optics either. Ian that is interesting about something similar to aide in aligning bearings, I've often thought it was some sort of inspection device etc, just for what who knows. I did see a similar device attached to a camera. It's very finely constructed what ever the little devil is. There are no less than 19 fine screws keeping this thing together with some being very very small. I really think the fact it got mixed in with some MG-34 stuff was pure accidental on the sellers part that I got the stuff from. Thanks for the replies guys.

ian
    ?

well that blows that idea then , without any circles lines and no,s in the optics ,it cannot be what i thought it "might" be allthough that was a mighty big "might" with loads of ????????????????? never mind , the mystery continues cheers ian

fokkerflyer
    ?

Yup. I've had this bugger for a long time. Whilst digging for something else ran across it again so figured would ask some of the other military collectors if they've seen something like this. I really think it's meant to be attached to something else optic related as well. Crazy little thing to be sure. Thanks again

?

Just a thought, could it be some form of alignment tool to do with particle physics. It certainly looks very scientific, you never know!!