MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Military Lantern Identification

Article about: Hello everyone, I thought I would post some pictures of a lantern that I purchased recently. Initially, I thought it was WWI period but after researching it realized that it is most likely W

?

Default Help with Military Lantern Identification

Hello everyone,

I thought I would post some pictures of a lantern that I purchased recently. Initially, I thought it was WWI period but after researching it realized that it is most likely WWII or pre war. Interesting construction and well built I think. I noticed that it has an asbestos lining under the curved portion of the lamp beneath the handle, intended to protect the carrier form the heat of the lamp I guess. Does the "....36" stamp on the back stand for 1936? Can anyone identify the maker's code? I would appreciate any information that can be provided. Thanks.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Military Lantern Identification   Help with Military Lantern Identification  

Help with Military Lantern Identification   Help with Military Lantern Identification  

Help with Military Lantern Identification   Help with Military Lantern Identification  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with Military Lantern Identification
    P
    Many

Hello,
    The lion stamped having a crown, it looks like czech to me, but it's out of my knowledge...
    Yes i think that 36 is for 1936.

"Can anyone identify the maker's code?" in prewar Germany, maker's marks were not coded on military items, the first code was adopted in 1940 (with letters).
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Thank you, JPhilip. I appreciate the information.

Tom

Must say it's fairly similar to mine
    DR German Rail Carbide Lantern

?

Hi Rene,

Yes, very similar to yours, very German-looking in appearance. Does yours have any markings? Mine has no DR mark, just what I have shown. It has me stumped. As JPhilip stated, the lion w/crown mark does look czech.

Tom