Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ice Pick TR or not TR. That is the question???

Article about: Hi, Many years ago I traded this pick from the son of a German naval ex POW residing in Plymouth. He was adamant that it was used by the German Army Alpine troops during WW2. To me it looks

Default Ice Pick TR or not TR. That is the question???

Hi, Many years ago I traded this pick from the son of a German naval ex POW residing in Plymouth. He was adamant that it was used by the German Army Alpine troops during WW2. To me it looks of the period and has an interesting logo on the blade but whether it is TR may well be a different question. What do you think please. I would be particularly interested to see photos of anthing similar which anyone may have. Over to you.
    With many thanks and best wishes Michael R

Ice Pick TR or not TR. That is the question???Ice Pick TR or not TR. That is the question???Ice Pick TR or not TR. That is the question???Ice Pick TR or not TR. That is the question???Ice Pick TR or not TR. That is the question???Ice Pick TR or not TR. That is the question???Ice Pick TR or not TR. That is the question???Ice Pick TR or not TR. That is the question???Ice Pick TR or not TR. That is the question???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ice Pick TR or not TR. That is the question???
    P
    Many

its got a good chance.

Unfortunately, I can see nothing telling me that it is anything but a normal mountaineering pick. I would imagine that if it had been WWII that there would be Some sort of marking to indicate this. The Germans stamped and marked just about everything including the dust on the floors.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thank you harryamb. Cheers MR

Yes, I know what you mean Wagriff. Thanks for your note and regards MR

Wagriff is right they all look similar German ones usually have a maker I missed a good one here while back marked with a manufacters logo and 137th Mountain Reg I think on handle that was the regiment that attacked my father's unit on Lampadon ridge near Zerf Germany in March of 45. timothy

It's a Swiss made ice axe (or eispickel) by the apparently renowned axesmith P.Schild of Kandersteg. They are not the military type axe used by the Swiss army. It may be from the 1930's or before, as by the 1940's the axes were marked P.Schild Sohn, and at some point in the early 1950's P.Schild Junior. The company logo appears to have changed each time if not even more often. They crop up on ebay fairly regularly and seem to go for in the region of £60-£90. Sorry about the small pic, but that's it.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images Ice Pick TR or not TR. That is the question??? 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Timoth and Big Ned, Thank you for your input on this subject. The info is of great help and interest.
    Cheers MR