Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

jerry can, not marked

Article about: Is there any knowledge in this forum concerning this unmarked jerry can? It is rather old, not marked (except 20L in the metal and L20 in red paint). The colour is grey over olive green. Tha

Default jerry can, not marked

Is there any knowledge in this forum concerning this unmarked jerry can?

It is rather old, not marked (except 20L in the metal and L20 in red paint).

The colour is grey over olive green.

Thank you for looking at it!

Cheers,
    Emile

jerry can, not markedjerry can, not markedjerry can, not markedjerry can, not markedjerry can, not marked

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement jerry can, not marked
    P
    Many

I have never seen any wartime can with the two pressings on the side. Not military in my opinion.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

You are fast Ade!

Thanks!

Emile

I think you can still buy cans with near identical stampings at most bigger gas stations, usually in gloss green or red. Quite a lot of these are made by Sandrik, of all makers...

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I have never seen any wartime can with the two pressings on the side. Not military in my opinion.
    Cheers, Ade.
    I've never seen a peacetime military one like that either and I have handled tens of thousands of Brit ones.
    The trouble with these is that they are / have been made (copies if you like) all over the world in millions.

At one time the routes from Germany to the coast via Belgium and the Netherlands were littered with these discarded by troops going to UK and making the most of their duty free fuel allowance that the UK Forces had to dedicate "Jerrycan patrols" to retrieve them so as not to really upset local authorities with this "steel litter". Up until the 80's at least many were wartime items and the Low Countries are still awash with them so a good one should be easy enough to find.
    Having said that this maybe a european version so therefore it could still be military. Just not Wehrmacht or British.

Mark
    Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

One of my friends collecting cans tell me it's English stamping, not German.
    Many of his cans are in the book on German cans.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Thanks for your reaction Lebus12,

What is particular about English stamping? Different, but what is distinctive?

Cheers,
    Emile

I have never seen an English made can like this before? Certainly not wartime if that is what it is?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

These 20l are definitely post war (sixtees, seventies)

If I'm not mistaken they are dutch military

Tom

Dutch is likely, since the can is in The Netherlands. I found it in an old barn of the house we bought.

It is marked in red paint on one side: L 20 and on the other side 12 and some vague lettering.

Cheers,
    Emile