Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just obtained these binoculars, posting them here for your consideration and review.

Article about: Was given these binoculars by a friend who says his grandfather took them from a German soldier during the war. He isn't 100% sure if this story is true or not, but that's what he's been tol

Default Just obtained these binoculars, posting them here for your consideration and review.

Was given these binoculars by a friend who says his grandfather took them from a German soldier during the war. He isn't 100% sure if this story is true or not, but that's what he's been told. For whatever reason he decided he no longer wished to own them and gave them to me and I happily obliged. I'm not very knowledgable on field equipment of this sort, so anything you can tell me about them would be much appreciated. Thanks and cheers!

Just obtained these binoculars, posting them here for your consideration and review.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Just obtained these binoculars, posting them here for your consideration and review.
    P
    Many

Hi , they certainly look like standard type German issue binoculars to me. Leon.

The glass is very clear and they're extremely functional. Tested them out today and they work perfectly. How rare are examples of German binoculars like this?

German prewar 6x30 bino's military issue I posted a pair here while back made by Busch. Those look in good shape case may have manuf logo or name on it some where and maybe even waa. Nice pair. timothy

Just noticed this extra compartment with extra filters! Very exciting moment for me.
    -----------------------------
    Here's the compartment closed, notice the snap button on the lid of the case:

Here's the compartment opened, revealing extra filters and parts:
    Last edited by Dual Headed Eagle; 12-02-2013 at 05:23 AM.

?

Nice binos,and you sure can`t beat the price.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Nice earlier Leitz bino's -before they eliminated the makers name and went to the "beh" marking. Not horrendously Rare like, say, a U-Boat set, but still a respectable value, even though the coverings on this pair are cracking off. Am not really sure that the neck strap is original to the pair, but this isn't a matter of great importance in any case. So long as the optics are clear and fungus free is the main thing. Nice to see the original case as well still with them!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

What year would you put these at, considering they're before the "beh" marking? I noticed that the coverings on many of these binoculars tend to crack and chip. I try to handle these as little as possible as the coverings feel especially brittle.

There are no serial numbers of Leitz binoculars still existing, that I know of, but the German military codes came into use around 1940-41, so this pair date somewhere in the 1930's. My best guess, going by Leitz Lens serial numbers(which Do still exist) would be sometime around, perhaps, 1937. The 6x30's were the standard Military binocular of the German forces and were basically issued to anyone that needed them-tank crews, infantry, etc. The body covering was an artificial leather, so it is often seen crumbling from age, as yours are. There really isn't much that can be done to prevent it, other than to simply do as you are doing-handle them with care.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Very excellent info, Wagriff. Thanks to everyone who has posted here thus far, I'm very pleased with this set of binoculars and the additional information provided by this forum has certainly helped.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast