Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

K98 cleaning kit with helmet decal ????

Article about: I found this in a local antique shop yesterday, I was able to snap a quick picture of what appears to be a period correct decal on the K98 cleaning case??? Problem is I cant find any Picture

Default K98 cleaning kit with helmet decal ????

I found this in a local antique shop yesterday, I was able to snap a quick picture of what appears to be a period correct decal on the K98 cleaning case??? Problem is I cant find any Pictures with this decal on any kits, could it be something that was added in the field, K98 cleaning kit with helmet decal ????or post war to dupe somebody???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 cleaning kit with helmet decal ????
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Chris,

Decal does not belong. Don't see why someone would put that on in the field (or if it would be allowed). That said, the wear on the kit does not match the nearly perfect condition of the decal. Others can opine on the originality of the decal itself.

As such, IMHO, added well after the fact.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That's what I was thinking as well, I tried talking to the guy to let him know that most kits I have seen range from 30.00 to 60.00, His reply was that the price was reflecting the decal, an he has seen them online ! so I walked away

MAP
    ?

Smart move!

We'll see if others pop in and validate my view but your spot on regarding the price.

He may have seen these online because he was selling them!

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thumbs down

I wouldn't bet that the decal is an original for starts.
    The troops in the field would Not have had access to this sort of thing and even if they did I seriously doubt that anyone would have bothered putting one on a clg kit can that was that well worn.
    Soo - someone put a repro decal on a well worn can just for sh-- & grins!
    Sarge

?

Decals were available for private purchase, and it is not unknown that soldiers like to decorate their kit, even I did it to my own stuff in Iraq, regulations didn't allow me to spray paint my unit "mascot" onto my body armour, but it was tolerated, this particular piece, who knows......decals were sold to soldiers, maybe a soldier on leave picked one up and added it to a relative small piece of kit so that it went unnoticed.....rather than stick a decal on a visible piece of kit, he stuck it on something that was usually packed away, his small act of defiance and patriotism in an otherwise hectic world....romantic visions....maybe, but certainly within the mindset of a soldier.....
    But, without provenance, it will be impossible to know for sure, unless the decal experts can get a better photo and say the decal is fake

Dont forget also after the war there was alot of unused decals about so may have been done by a US soldier to make it more interesting piece of war booty thats if the decal is original ?

sounds like a crook.

He said he acquired it from a lady with a few other items, When I asked what those items were he said just some daggers an bayonets, but they were already sold, I knew at that point he had picked what he wanted an was trying to unload this piece.