Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

K98 cleaning kit miss matched ?

Article about: What makes you pick up YOUR very own helmet or YOUR very own rifle under a sudden shelling is the fact that since YOU know where YOU have put them down YOU automatically reach for them and r

?

Default K98 cleaning kit miss matched ?

I purchased this K98 cleaning kit today and I think I should have been more observant as I now notice the top of the case is marked with an ab 44 on the right side and the left side is marked with what I believe to be a Waffenampt stamp . The oiler and chain are nicely marked G.APPEL 1938 the chain also bears what I believe is also a Waffenampt stamp I am assuming now that someone has built this kit from at least one other as the stamp on the case would appear to be of a different year.My first question is what does the ab 44 stand for stamped in the top of the case I will assume the 44 stands for the year of production. and if the kit has a Waffenampt stamp on it can anyone tell me were it was produced and for whom These kits very so much in price that it is hard to get a grasp on there worth I do notice that the G.APPEL kits do seem to bring a better price on the market. I did pay $36.00 Canadian for it was it to much? Any and all comments and opinions are appreciated good or bad .

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 cleaning kit miss matched ?   K98 cleaning kit miss matched ?  

K98 cleaning kit miss matched ?   K98 cleaning kit miss matched ?  

Last edited by Mark K; 07-16-2011 at 11:25 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 cleaning kit miss matched ?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: K98 cleaning kit miss matched ?

Your kit was made by Mundlos in 1944,I usually pay between $25-$40 for them,as yours is missing the spoon it is worth about $25 IMO. And yes it is missmatched.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Thank you for the information I should learn to be a little more observent I guess it's not a total loss thoe as I did not have one it will make a good filler till something better comes along .

?

It is quite possible that the missmatching took place in period, i have two kits, a DUX and a G.appel, the oil bottle is dated 1940 Mundlos and both waffenampt stamped, these were taken by my uncle from the Heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen so both are period and untouched

?

Correction not DUX but CUX, didnt have me glasses on

?

Thanx Davejb there is no way we will know for shur but the possibility of the kit being missmatched in period is very good as we all know that shit happens .I know myself that if my cleaning kit was damaged I would most certainly look for a new tin to replace it with.

Regards Mark K

Mark,
    for starters it's WaffenA M T !
    A mismatched kit ain't big problem...it could have been done during the war,after all it ìf the cleaning brush was missing the soldier had more important things to do (read do his best to bring home the bacon) rather than making sure that all the stuff in its cleaning kit was matching!
    Cheers
    Manny

?

Thanx Manny as always wise words of wisdom direct and to the point. I myself think it does not matter in the field that your kit is matching as long as you have what you need to get the job done .I have seen a few photo's were it would appear that a soldier has picked up a weapon or a piece of kit from a comrade or an enemy soldier and was carrying it in battle.

?

I have had a few of these RG34 kits over the years and have never had an all matching one,most parts are not marked at all,I guess if everyone is sitting around cleaning their rifles and mortar rounds start coming in that is not the time to worry about getting your own personal stuff back.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Yes I think the last thing on my mind under fire would be if I had the write cleaning kit parts or the right helmet or the right rifle or the right pair of shorts on. etc etc etc....

Regards Mark k

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast