Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Kanisters of the Wehrmacht

Article about: Its great to see all these jerrycans. Martin

?

Default Re: Kanisters of the Wehrmacht

thanks for the photos .... but the color of the canister bottom does not appear to be original, I'll come back with some better pictures.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kanisters of the Wehrmacht
    P
    Many

Here's my kanister

Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

A nice example Vegar, and another Muller Schwelm piece too. Well done!

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Take a close look at the Muller symbol on the centre of the kanister. One should be able to make out two men with a steel barrel, a fantastic logo.

Wow, I never knew that. I had looked at the symbol before, but I had no idea what it was. Thanks!
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

You're welcome Vegar. It is a letter 'M', with a steel barrel underneath, but the 'M' slightly resembles two men when you look at it. Quite a nice feature. The company, i.e. Muller Schwelmer Eisenwerk und Co. of Schwelm, Westfalia, actually changed their logo later in the war to fcx. This was done during 1944, so that no trace of the name and company could help Allied bombers find there way to the Muller factories. Vinzenz Grunvogel, the chief engineer at Muller was the designer of the classic German kanister. His design revolutionised the way that fuel carriers were produced from then onwards.

Regards,

Carl

?

I returned with clearer pictures ... on the gray cansitra clearly see bright orange paint ... which obviously does not seems the original red-base color , but I guess someone was applied after .See in some pictures the original base red paint.Old man from which I got canister swear that it has canisters from Germans exactly in this condition !!

PS : canister with the bottom painted black is painted by me in black ... because I considered it not the original paint and tried to restore bottom cansiter which was pierced.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kanisters of the Wehrmacht   Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  

Kanisters of the Wehrmacht   Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  

?

If you look at the paint on the last picture, i.e. the handle section, this clearly shows period base coat paint. The kanisters shown above are both original examples, so don't worry about the authenticity. That light grey paint was also used on Third Reich cans, and I have even seen it present on original SS Kanisters. The orange/red base coat paint often appears brighter on some examples than it does on others, however, what seems a little bit strange on your grey can, is the difference between the base coat on the bottom, and on other areas of the can. Added to the thickness with which it seems to have been applied, and the splash marks which appear to be over the grey paint, it is likely not period paint on the bottom of the can.

Regards,

Carl

?

very strange canisters ... Gray canister appears to be paint in orange under the gray paint ... do not know what to say ... old man said that it has canisters from the Germans exactly in this condition.Canisters were not purchased from the Internet or antique-magazine , they have been found in Romania in the courtyard of an old-man ... "the truth is beyond us" ))

Kanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the Wehrmacht
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  
    Last edited by peewee; 04-01-2012 at 08:25 PM.

?

Grey paint over orange/red paint is correct.

Regards,

Carl

?

A close up image of an example of the correct form for the neck of a period kanister. Whether it be an SS, Wasser, 'X' pattern or regular fuel can, all should have this form present. Many reproduction kanisters have an elongated air vent if the form of an ellipse. These are incorrect, and therefore should always be discounted as original pieces.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast