Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Kanisters of the Wehrmacht

Article about: Its great to see all these jerrycans. Martin

?

Nice honest example Fabe, and a bargain too - well done!

Regards,

Carl

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kanisters of the Wehrmacht
    P
    Many

?

Ouch, this thread hits me like a punch to the gut: I try to block out the following but am constantly reminded by threads such as these.
    My cousin knows of my historical interest and he proudly announced, that he years ago had obtained a perfectly preserved WWII 'Jerrycan.'
    I very much wanted too see it. We drove to a local museum and lo and behold, there on a shelf was a mint Jerrycan. No dents, no dings - perfect condition.
    Turned out he had donated it to the museum, as he himself was not interested.
    He stared blankly at me doing my apoplectic fit bit on the floor.

?

I asked the seller, the origins of the can - it belonged to his great-grandfather - and he kept it in the basement - hence no rusting at all.
    I just sent him another question, where in Hungary his great-grandfather might have found it.
    Also, there is def. a layer of sand color above the orange paint - maybe that's why the grey looks so "brownish"...

?

Quote by Fabe View Post
    I asked the seller, the origins of the can - it belonged to his great-grandfather - and he kept it in the basement - hence no rusting at all.
    I just sent him another question, where in Hungary his great-grandfather might have found it.
    Also, there is def. a layer of sand color above the orange paint - maybe that's why the grey looks so "brownish"...
    Yes Fabe, the sand coloured layer of paint over the orange/red base coat would match with eastern European pattern Kanister coatings. Then at a later date, your example was clearly repainted. It will be interesting to find the can's history, if you are able to trace it through the seller's relative - a nice bonus if you are able to do so.

?

OK, this is what he wrote (the seller) - translated from Hungarian:

"My great grand-father served on the eastern-front, he got medals & awards (even a "frozen meat award"), I still have his old bayonet, fieldcap, medals & photos, but those are too precious for me, I won't be selling them."

So the Kanister is indeed from the eastern-front...

Cheers,
    Fabe

Quote by Fabe View Post

?

Hey Guys - Any thoughts on this can? Should "white camo paint" look like this? I do see some red underpaint on some parts...
    Getting two MG42 ammo boxes from this guy, they also have camo paint...Thinking about this as well.

The price is around 15 USD...

Cheers,
    Fabe

Kanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the Wehrmacht

Here are the 2 boxes - I'm picking them up tomorrow in person in Budapest - 40 USD for the two:

Kanisters of the WehrmachtKanisters of the Wehrmacht
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  
    Last edited by Fabe; 09-01-2013 at 01:20 AM.

Looks a bit greenish on my phone fabe.
    But for $15 who cares - go grab it man.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

I'll update later tonight...THX.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Looks a bit greenish on my phone fabe.
    But for $15 who cares - go grab it man.

Fray Lucas
    ?

Default pre-1940 Canister

Hello,

I found several pictures of the triangular-shaped canister build by nirona, probably at the very beginning or just before the war. I would like to know more about this triangular model, and where could I possibly find one.

Thank you,

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  

I would be careful - just because it is painted white does not mean it was wartime done. Take this Kanister for example, it looks OK but in the close-up photos you can see there is remains of a green under the white - and it is NOT a wartime shade - more a forest green. This paint could have been done anytime over the last 50 years just because that was the paint available. Just an observation ...... I would tread carefully ( this one they want US$120 for )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kanisters of the Wehrmacht   Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  

Kanisters of the Wehrmacht   Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  

Kanisters of the Wehrmacht   Kanisters of the Wehrmacht  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast