Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Kokonuss Feldflasche with Questions

Article about: Hi, Bought this canteen from a second-hand stamp shop, unfortunately no drinking cup and no neck stamps, at home I took the canteen out of its felt jacket and found I had a coconut canteen f

?

Default Kokonuss Feldflasche with Questions

Hi,
    Bought this canteen from a second-hand stamp shop, unfortunately no drinking cup and no neck stamps, at home I took the canteen out of its felt jacket and found I had a coconut canteen from Heinrich Ritter Esslingen - 1943. Looked through this forum & WAF forums, all show pictures of coconut canteens held in various straps & harnesses, not one in a felt jacket. Questions - were coconut canteens ever fitted into felt jackets? and does any member know what the initials R.F.I.42 stamped on the jacket & strap stand for ? any information welcome.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kokonuss Feldflasche with Questions   Kokonuss Feldflasche with Questions  

Kokonuss Feldflasche with Questions   Kokonuss Feldflasche with Questions  

Kokonuss Feldflasche with Questions  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kokonuss Feldflasche with Questions
    P
    Many

Default Re: Kokonuss Feldflasche with Questions

Originally they were not issued with felt cover (I have a photo of felt covered coconut found in the plain wreck in my computer, though). Yours is probably put-together, the cover belongs to Gebirgsjäger canteen. RFI is maker's mark, but which manufacturer stands behind it, is unknown to me.

?

Gnadenlose - What you write can't be quite right, the canteen and cover fit together like hand & glove. The coconut canteen 1 liter is smaller than a gebirgsjäger canteen 1,5 liter. A coconut canteen would get lost in a gebirgsjäger cover, never fit - I've measured the coconut canteen + cover around the middle = 37cm, gebirgsjäger + cover = 40cm. I bought the canteen on the strength of the look of the cover, thought it was a gebirgsjäger jacket certainly looks like one, unless they made gebirgsjäger covers in two size (don't think they did). Any thoughts ?

Coconut is about 0.8l, medic's and GJ canteens are 1l. This kind of covers were made in even smaller size for HJ/BDM, but I've never seen these in regular size. Whatever it is, the coconut can't come with it.