Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kriegsmarine "saddlebags"

Article about: Hi Dwight, What a find, thanks for that. D.

Default Kriegsmarine "saddlebags"

Without wanting to sound stupid, did the Kriegsmarine have horses. I guess they did.... Land based Kriegsmarine etc must have had or used horses. Anyway these leather "saddle bags" may be nothing to do with horses, but they certainly are Kriegsmarine. The quality of these bags is really nice and I was totally surprised to find them stamped like they are. If anyone out there knows the exact use of these bags then please send me an email to damienhorn1@gmail.com
    All the best from Jersey.
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine "saddlebags"   Kriegsmarine "saddlebags"  

Kriegsmarine "saddlebags"   Kriegsmarine "saddlebags"  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine "saddlebags"
    P
    Many

yab
    ?

Default Re: Kriegsmarine "saddlebags"

Hi, looks like nice quality.
    Regards Yab.

?

Dont think these are Saddle bags for horses these are motorcycle bags used by couriers etc - Im sure that the Kriesmarine had these on Jersey.

Horse saddle bags have more belt loops etc also dont have the belts on the rear as the one you show.

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

You have created a very interesting thread. Those might be motorcycle saddle-bags as suggested above. But, apparently, the Kriegsmarine did have horses, as evidenced by this question posed much earlier on a German website;
    Kann Jemand mich mehr erzählen über die Pferde in der Kriegsmarine? Ich habe ein KM Reiter Uniform gekauft, weiss aber nicht viel über die Nützung von Pferde. In Wilhelmshaven hatte die KM ein eigene Pferdestall. Ich kann mich nur entsinnen das es zum Spass gemacht wurde, wie segeln, für Offiziere.”

For those who don’t read German, the question is; “Can someone tell me about horses in the (WWII German) Navy? I bought a German Navy riding uniform, but I don’t know much about the use of horses. In Wilhelmshaven the (WWII German) Navy had its own Horse stall. I can only assume it was for fun, just like sailing, for officers.”

I also found this in Reibert, Der Dienstunterricht im Heere: Ausgabe für den Reiter under the heading, "Uniformen der Kriegsmarine."
    I also found that there were shore-based Kriegsmarine artillery and FLAK units that had a “Verbindung mit der Küstenartillerie.”, which might account for the field grey uniforms. It’s possible—even probable--that the officers commanding such units were mounted for parade.

So, what we have is not a complete answer to the question, but some strong leads. Hopefully some of you out there can add to this. Dwight

yab
    ?

Hi, I have a book about the occupation of your island, do you know it? there is a lot of good pics in it.
    Regards Yab.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine "saddlebags"   Kriegsmarine "saddlebags"  

Hi,
    Yes, I know this book. Its been out of print for a while now but in its day it was the one to have.
    d.

yab
    ?

Hi, ok, it is a good book, I was on the Jersey island in 86, nice place.
    Regards Yab.

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    Without wanting to sound stupid, did the Kriegsmarine have horses. I guess they did.... Land based Kriegsmarine etc must have had or used horses. Anyway these leather "saddle bags" may be nothing to do with horses, but they certainly are Kriegsmarine. The quality of these bags is really nice and I was totally surprised to find them stamped like they are. If anyone out there knows the exact use of these bags then please send me an email to damienhorn1@gmail.com
    All the best from Jersey.
    D.
    It doesn't sound odd to me at all that they would have horses. The Wehrmacht, after all, was never really mechanised, and unlike their Commonwealth and US oppponents, relied heavily on horse drawn transport. There's no reason the Navy would be any exception. It's common to think of the Wehrmacht in terms of modernity and speed... 'Blitzkrieg' .. but it's all propaganda and myth.

Rob

?

Hi,

it’s an interesting thread indeed.

What I could say is that the Horses have had "served" already in the Kaiserliche Marine.

There is a very interesting book from Klaus Christian Richter: “Die bespannten Truppen der Wehrmacht”. On the page 124 you’ll find some answers to your questions, Jersey 34.

I would recommend this Book to everyone who is interesting in the history of the WWII.
    Best regards
    Gary

Jersey 34: I finally found a photograph showing a German naval officer astride a horse. He's between the band and the marching troops in the photo below, which shows Marineinfantry in Antwerpen in 1914. Dwight

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast