Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Late War Gasmask Can with name

Article about: Hi Guys, can I have some opinions on this late war (marked 1944) gasmask can with owner's name in the lid and bottom - I'm not ruling it out the ink marking as a plain fake right away, it's

?

Default Late War Gasmask Can with name

Hi Guys,

can I have some opinions on this late war (marked 1944) gasmask can with owner's name in the lid and bottom - I'm not ruling it out the ink marking as a plain fake right away, it's from a fairly reliable source - but has anyone else seen hand-written ink markings on cans before? I do own one with pencil markings within the lid.
    The last photo is digitally enhanced to see the somewhat faded marking better. ("SS ...? Peter Reimann ?)
    Cheers,
    Fabe

Late War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with name

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Late War Gasmask Can with name
    P
    Many

Difficult to say for sure if the names have been added later. There are pros and cons. It doesn't take much to work out that there are casualties named Peter Reimann on the VDK list, their ranks both being Oberschütze... So you could argue that if someone wanted to add value then putting this rank and name on it might have made it more desirable.

I would consider its price based on it being unmarked and negotiate from there. From what I see I'm not confident that those details haven't been added later on.

Quote by Fabe View Post
    The last photo is digitally enhanced to see the somewhat faded marking better. ("SS ...? Peter Reimann ?)
    The missing bit is "Rottf." = "Rottenführer".

?

THX guys, is there a list available on-line where I could check the names of SS soldiers?

Quote by Fabe View Post
    THX guys, is there a list available on-line where I could check the names of SS soldiers?
    Not for enlisted ranks.

(Officers can be found in the SS-Dienstalterslisten, some of which can be found online.)

?

Update - the can from post # 1 (no mask and straps, but I have spare straps) was 55 EU and was recovered in here Hungary (but it's not uncommon, since almost only SS troops fought here in late 1944 and early 1945. The bottom ink marking in real life is hardly visible, faded and def. looks as if was applied a long time ago - so it still might have a chance. I bought from the seller a few weeks ago (good original stuff), he's not a "merchant", but a collector like us, selling all his 20 years old collection (he needs money for a house loan). He also just sold this SS set, also recovered here in Hungary (I wish I saw it earlier):

Late War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with name

?

Finally got around to make proper pics of this can - hope you like it.
    Cheers,
    Fabe
    Late War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with nameLate War Gasmask Can with name
    Late War Gasmask Can with name