Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Late war tropical canteen

Article about: I have been really wanting this canteen. What do you guys think about it? Sorry , but I don't have more pics. My camera was full. -Dean.

?

Default Late war tropical canteen

I have been really wanting this canteen. What do you guys think about it? Sorry , but I don't have more pics. My camera was full.
    -Dean.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late war tropical canteen   Late war tropical canteen  

Late war tropical canteen  
    Last edited by Dean; 10-15-2013 at 04:23 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Late war tropical canteen
    P
    Many

Looks like a nice one Dean I would examine it closely as the cups (repo) are often made from plastic and not bakelite and they do repo straps and parts for them. It looks good from the picture. timothy

?

Thanks for your response, Timothy I almost regret the fact that I didn't get it that day. I asked my friend to hold it for me until the next week. He agreed, but when I went to pick it up, he wasn't there(which Is highly strange for him. He hasn't missed a a weekend for several years!) I eventually was told by a mutual friend that he was in hospital . I wanted to visit him but the hospital wouldn't let me because I wasn't a family member.

Personally, I like the canteen. You can see the remnants of the original green color of webbing under the hook. The cup looked fine to me in hand. I really wanted this sooo bad! I got the TeNo stamp instead, because I didn't think I'd find another again. I figured I had a better chance of finding a canteen, though.
    Last edited by Dean; 10-16-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Strap is good - this is how the color "washes" out over time due to sun exposure. NH

nice one.

The small leather pieces (loops) on the cover should also be made of the same material as straps. It just looks like someone added web straps and bakelite cup to regular cover to make it tropical canteen.

?

Hmm.. Maybe so. Either way, $70 is a fair price IMO.(that's what he's selling it for)

Quote by gnadenlose View Post
    The small leather pieces (loops) on the cover should also be made of the same material as straps. It just looks like someone added web straps and bakelite cup to regular cover to make it tropical canteen.
    Hello,
    It is true to say that loops on the cover should be made of web for a tropical canteen, but i have also seen in the past a few middle war/late (42-44) canteens undoubtfully issued with leather loops and web strap. Continental issue with "economy" web strap ?, Tropical issue with leather loops ?
    We'll probably never know...but this arrangement has existed.

I confirm, $70 is a fair price
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

I went through three batches of canteens for a dealer here in the US (100 or more in each lot) that came from Straubing. He asked me to clean and repair them to make them presentable for sale. I can tell you without a doubt that leather and webbing were both used on canteen covers. The idea that tropical canteens only had webbing retainers is simply not true. Same goes for bread bags and other items. I have a tropical bread bag with leather retainer straps. This is a BARGAIN at $70 and I would grab it without negotiation! NH