Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a legit WW2 German Map case ???

Article about: Hello Chaps Need some of your expert opinions please. The map case in the pictures is being advertised on a local auction site as an original WW2 German Map Case. Thing is, I haven't ever se

Default Is this a legit WW2 German Map case ???

Hello Chaps

Need some of your expert opinions please.

The map case in the pictures is being advertised on a local auction site as an original WW2 German Map Case. Thing is, I haven't ever seen one in this particular build/version. The stud and hanger markings are clear but I have not frame of reference.

Can anyone help me ? It's not on offer cheap so I really need to make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance

Andrew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a legit WW2 German Map case ???   Is this a legit WW2 German Map case ???  

Is this a legit WW2 German Map case ???   Is this a legit WW2 German Map case ???  

Attached Images Attached Images Is this a legit WW2 German Map case ???  Is this a legit WW2 German Map case ???  Is this a legit WW2 German Map case ???  Is this a legit WW2 German Map case ???  Is this a legit WW2 German Map case ??? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a legit WW2 German Map case ???
    P
    Many

Default Re: Is this a legit WW2 German Map case ???

Not a WWII German pattern I recognise.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

All I can say is I have not seen it before either, but it is similar (not the same though) in style to the wartime Soviet pattern.

The makers hardwear is legitimate for wartime German products.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The PRYM snap fastener suggest German made.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Chaps

I ended-up passing on this item at auction. I discovered that the PRYM studs are still made by the same company today and I am of the opinion that the map case in question is post war. The case lacks the pen holders and other characteristics one would expect to see on a WW2 German map case. Thank-you for your input, much appreciated.

Hello.
    At first let's apologize for digging up an almost 10 years old topic to which I might, if I can say so myself, add a few enlightening remarks.
    Let us begin with the fact that Overhoff ( as in OLC ) indeed produced a lot of stuff during WW2 but continued proudly to do so for the BGS and the Bundeswehr well into the 1980's.
    So this mapcase could be from western Germany, an early BGS type, yet a few features here do not match any known type.
    In fact I own something extremely similar ( that must date from the early fifties ) but in natural brown leather, and with an internal pocket closing with two press studs.
    The thing in itself is typically austrian equipment, with an amusing oddity : the strap hooks are genuine WW2 ones, as used on political gear :

It is easy to see that they are very similar to each other in shape, size and most details.
    Why is one brown and the other black I cannot say for sure, it could be that the black one is more recent or simply that both colors existed at the same time as it is the case in Austria during the 60's.
    The only thing that might seem odd in all of this is the OLC marking, and yet german makers like Paul Schultze and Assmann made respectively messtins and water canteen hooks for the Bundesheer, so it doesn't look like such a big deal to me.