Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Lifebouy from the Panzerschiff Graff Spree: Original?

Article about: According to the source Big Ned cited, which said, "The fresh Kaiserrot-paint was a bright red, but this paint quickly faded out to a orange/brown red due to the saliferous environment.

I am sure that the photo of the couple with the ring was made in the 1940's, possibly, if not probably, in Montevideo or its environs. The couple could be Uruguayans, local residents. The clothing certainly looks to be late 1930's 1940's and the foliage and general appearance of the area surrounding the couple is consistent with the location being in Uruguay. How they came to have the life ring is purely conjecture. As for the life ring being genuine; well maybe. Did the German Navy use red life rings? Most of the life rings I have seen have been white, regardless of national origin. And did the German Navy put the ship's name on its life rings? And there is the question of the ring shape itself. In WWI, German navy life rings were the old "horse collar" shape, so did the Germans change that in WWII? Dwight

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lifebouy from the Panzerschiff Graff Spree: Original?
    P
    Many

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    As for the life ring being genuine; well maybe. Did the German Navy use red life rings? Most of the life rings I have seen have been white, regardless of national origin.
    Kriegsmarine lifebuoys were painted using RAL 3010 "93 - kaiserrot I". Like everything else there were special regulations; here's a painting guide from the Kriegsmarine Werft at Wilhelmshaven:

The fresh Kaiserrot-paint was a bright red, but this paint quickly faded out to a orange/brown red due to the saliferous environment.

Also, maybe worthy of some note, is this photo etched sheet of lifebuoys for use on 1/350 Kreigsmarine large warship models. It shows various configurations of red, white and red/white rings that seem to serve some meaning to it's use or placement on the ship I would imagine.

Something to ponder perhaps?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    You can be a chippy character sometimes Scout. Get over it and move on instead of always being touchy and defensive whenever someone says something you disagree with or don't like, it's not endearing at all.

I am also taking this oppurtunity to ask directly why it is you have not yet committed yourself to this forum that you have been so prolific on over the best part of the last 6 years, by becoming a paid up member and thereby showing some support to it.

Ned.
    What the heck, where did that come from all of a sudden?!
    I must admit, that I should have smelled a rat, when you started calling the posts of other members for folly. Quite the chip on your shoulder.
    But I guess, that Im naive; in my book, you have always had some pretty funny comments and have been a good forum member in my book.
    Funny, how that can change in an instant.
    I realise from your past posts, that you have had your ups and downs and that you are having a bad time right now since you are in a foul mood and evidently need to strike out at someone who has NEVER said anything against you.
    Be that as it may. I apologize, but I cant be drawn into your very own brand of nuttyness; you will have to deal with it yourself.
    As for what I do or dont do; please dont get ahead of yourself as a private member here; you WILL mind your own business and not that of others.
    Please dont direct ANY comments my way in the future. Ill likewise ignore you, to avoid any further nastyness from your side. That way, the forum will comtinue to be a pleasent experience for at least one of us.
    I dont bear you any ill will, but will not take part in any kind of nasty feud you are brewing to distract you from real life.
    There have been some strange 'ambience' here lately and some very odd comments from relatively old forum members. Not least from your hand. This forum needs a reality check and some members need to be reined in.
    Ive always been of the belief, that this is one of the best forums around, but there has been rumblings as of late.
    This is just one example.
    Dang, it takes all kinds.

You're doing it again......
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I speculate that quite a few unsecured items may have washed ashore after the scuttling...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I speculate that quite a few unsecured items may have washed ashore after the scuttling...
    cheers, Glenn
    Surely you are not referring to the lady in the picture Glenn?? Leon.

bearing in mind she still carried her prewar stern eagle,I don't see why this could not be original to the ship.

- - ------- - -

PS.scout and Ned calm down.

that was going to be my next comment,it did not need to have been taken off the ship by any of its crew,it may well have come adrift when she was scuttled,im sure there were many with access to a boat,fishermen,pleasure boats etc that went out after the event to view her hulk,i know if something like that happened nowadays there place would be crawling with sightseers,and maybe one of these picked it up,so who owns this now?

Big Ned, I am not a paid up member either. But I do make a donation every December without fail. I just choose not to join the 'gold club.'

there is or was a actress here in the UK,and she saw the ship scuttled when she was a child,she said loads of boats went out to the wreck when it was safe to do so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast