Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Little pocket

Article about: Hello! Found this week near Rouen It's 10 cm large Do you know what it is ? Thanks Cheers, Michel

Quote by Scout View Post
    lebus, what are the dimensions of the case, please?

It looks small, but we need the dimensions to be sure.

Ahh, that makes sense.

I was mired down in thinking a pouch for spare cartridges, when I heard the term 'speed loader,' as that I what Im used to calling a device for quick loading of firearms from my years of competitive shooting.

I call the device for loading mags a 'mag loader*,' but thats just me - either term will do, I suppose, as long as we agree on the correct tool and what its utilized for

IMO the pouch looks too small for a mag loader, as mentioned, but we wont know for sure until we compare dimensions of the lader and the pouch

MP34/40 mag loader
    https://www.google.dk/search?hl=da&s...57.Qx_XUE7Av5Q

*For example the excellent LULA mag loader/'un-loader:'
    maglula, Ltd. > Home
    Little pocket

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Little pocket
    P
    Many

See the P37 compass case-attaches to the webbing-a compass is also typically attached to the soldier via a lanyard, being both small and valuable...

?

IMO these speed loader / mag loader pouches were very loosely sewn top and bottom only.

Regards Mark K

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Little pocket

Quote by lithgow View Post
    See the P37 compass case-attaches to the webbing-a compass is also typically attached to the soldier via a lanyard, being both small and valuable...
    Yes, valuble and relatively fragile hence the protective case

Yep, typically on a lanyard for securing.

No doubt, some compass cases would be secured on a belt or the like, as you day. I agree.

Still, there looks to be no stitching for securing it to anything in evidence.
    (though as seen in post #23, it might have been only lightly secured top an bottom?)

Thanks for head-up re the P37 case. Nifty.

Again, it might or might not be for a compass (was just what I could think of).

To me it just looks to be too small for the mag loader, but we wont know for sure, until we have the dimensions of both loader and case.

Looking up 'WWII German compass case' I notice two things; 1. They dont look like they were meant to be attached to anything, but that they were for protection of the compass only thus supporting my theory, that it could indeed be for the instrument (though none of the pics, I found in a quick and dirty search shows the back of the compass pouches).

2. the compass cases look more elongated than the one in the OP and of different materials thus not exactly supporting my theory

But as mentioned, there were/are so many small pouches made for military use.
    We need the dimensions of the case (loader and compass as well for that matter).

BTW below some different pouches for the 'mag loader' - both repro and real. Notice, how they look larger/longer than the pouch in the OP (might just be the perspective):
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Little pocket   Little pocket  

Little pocket   Little pocket  

Attached Images Attached Images Little pocket  Little pocket 

?

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    IMO these speed loader / mag loader pouches were very loosely sewn top and bottom only.

Regards Mark K
    Interesting info, valid point.

The jury is still out then

?

A very good thread indeed it will be interesting to see what the general concenciouse is after we get a few measurments for comparison purposes .
    I do like a good mystery.

Regards Mark K

?

My thoughts exactly, so Ill second that

OK, Mr Lebus has given us the size as 10cm, the pouch is roughly square so i think we can call it 10cmx10cm (4"x4"), as far as i know an MP 40 mag pouch is about 10 inches long, if you look at the mag/speed loader pouch in the photos the mag pouch looks to be just over twice as big, so to me the mystery pouch and the ones stitched to the mag pouches look to be a similar size.
    I know the mystery pouch is constructed differently to the ones on the mag pouches, but it's very similar in construction to the leather pouch which is said to be a mag loader pouch!...
    we now need the dimensions of a compass pouch!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3